Modern technology has made ironing much easier. But, it is important not only to iron the fabric, but also to adhere to simple but useful recommendations that will save time and not harm the clothes.
There are many interesting secrets that can be applied in practice to extend the service life of linen and even to give old wardrobe items a new gloss and a well-groomed look.
- Basic ways
- Preparing the laundry: at what temperature and on what mode to iron?
- How to iron your clothes properly?
- Features for different types of fabrics
- Purpose of gauze, why and when is it recommended to use it?
- Can I iron without an iron?
- Secrets for different wardrobe items
- How much does a home service cost?
- Helpful hints and tips
- A few words in conclusion
It doesn't matter what household appliance the hostess uses for ironing, the main thing is to follow some rules and the ironing process will be much easier.
To give the products a neat look, one of the following methods is used:
- Dry. Garments are ironed from the face or the wrong side.
- Wet. It is quite simple to eliminate creases using this method.
- With steam mode... The best solution for stale, badly wrinkled wardrobe items.
Not all things can be steamed so as not to harm them. Better to check how they react to the chosen ironing method on an inconspicuous area of the fabric.
Preparing the laundry: at what temperature and on what mode to iron?
It will take only 10-15 minutes to prepare, but this will save more time and effort. First you need to carefully read the information on the tag. It indicates the possibility of using steam, temperature.
Further you can familiarize yourself with the icons ironing:
- Ironing and steaming are permitted.
- Recommended mode 110 ℃.
- It is allowed to use medium mode up to 150 ℃.
- It is permissible to use an iron heated to 200 ℃.
- Do not steam, dry-clean.
- Cannot be ironed.
For clarity, the icons are shown in the photo below:
If there is no label, then you need to choose the mode depending on the composition of the fabric:
- flax - 190-230 ℃;
- cotton products - 165-190 ℃;
- woolen items - minimum temperature - 140, maximum - 165 ℃;
- pure silk - 115-140 ℃;
- viscose clothes - from 85 to 115 ℃.
How to iron your clothes properly?
Sort clothes into separate piles depending on the recommended t ℃.This is necessary so as not to constantly switch the thermostat. The soleplate of the iron must be clean, as is the steam chamber.
Simple instruction ironing:
- It is better to pass clothes from the inside out.
- When ironing from the face, it is better to use gauze or cotton cloth soaked in water.
- Plain water is suitable for moisturizing.
- Clothes are laid out neatly so that there are no folds, creases.
- The light should fall from the left side - for the right-hander.
- It is better to carefully fold sheets, duvet covers 4 times to avoid distortions and iron them from the face.
- The iron is moved away from you, this will eliminate burns.
- To prevent the seams from being imprinted from the face, it is better to place a thin cardboard between them, the same applies to the pockets.
- Iron the clothes along the main line, even if the thing is cut along the side.
- Products are smoothed from top to bottom to prevent deformation.
- Small pieces of clothing are processed first.
- Thick places are gently ironed through cheesecloth.
- If there is pile, iron in the direction it is.
Features for different types of fabrics
Before ironing the product, you need to carefully study the information on the tag. If it is not there, then you can use simple rules for caring for certain types of fabrics:
- Viscose. You need to pass the iron over the material from the wrong side. Before work, carefully align the clothes to avoid creases.
Do not hold the iron on an uneven surface, you can damage the material. It is recommended to iron through damp gauze or cotton cloth.
- Linen and Cotton... Products are ironed from the inside out. It is better to wrap linen or cotton clothes in a wet cloth and leave for half an hour. Process the surface through cheesecloth.
It is better to use the steam function without overheating the iron to temperatures above 200 ° C. For thin 100% cotton, a temperature of 160-180 ° C is suitable.
- Fatin. The main thing is that the product must be washed correctly, the recommended spin is 500 revolutions. It is difficult to iron a thing with a simple iron. A dense material is placed under the fabric, on top of cotton fabric or gauze. Choose the minimum temperature, otherwise the clothes will turn yellow. You can use the steam function, which flattens the thing without deforming it.
- Velvet and corduroy products... In the second case, steam is used. Velvet items are ironed from the inside out through a cotton fabric. It is better to put a thin terry towel on the ironing iron. This preserves the look of the garment. Corduroy and velvet are ironed at a low temperature.
- Jack. First, iron the thing off the face. There should be no creases on the reverse side. It is very difficult to eliminate them. Fold the product in half, facing inward. Treat on one side, then on the other side at a temperature of 200-210 ° C.
- Synthetics. Practical, popular fabric. You can iron such products by following the recommendations indicated on the label: mode for ironing, washing. Low or medium temperatures are most often used. Products are processed from the inside out through gauze or cotton fabric.
- Veil. Before starting work, it is better to apply gauze to the clothes. Without cotton fabric ironing the product should not. It is also impossible to linger in one place - you can damage the material. The iron must be moved quickly and carefully. Steam is also not recommended.
- Knitwear. The knitted garments may become deformed after washing. Pass the iron from the wrong side, the fabric must be damp.
It is better to move the device carefully over the material. The ironed clothes should be left on the ironer to cool and dry well.
- Capron. You can iron it, but only at a low temperature of 110 ° C. If your device doesn't have a delicate mode, it won't work. Align the nylon well on the board, put cotton fabric on top. The more delicate the item, the thicker the gasket should be. The steam function cannot be used.
- Satin. It is recommended to handle the product from the face. Set the mode to 200 ° C. For efficient ironing, you can use a steamer. But the fabric itself must be well dried. Wet material will stretch and deform.Additional fabric pads, gauze is not used.
- Atlas. Products quickly wrinkle, deform. They should be slightly damp. Temperature range 140-150 ° С. The regulator should be set to “silk” mode. It is better to process the surface from the inside out through cotton fabric. Move the device quickly, without holding it in one position, otherwise the structure of the fibers will be disturbed.
- Tulle. The recommended temperature is 120 ° C. For most curtains, the steaming mode can be used. If this function is not available, place a damp cloth on the ironing iron. Read more here.
- Organza. Place gauze under the material. Set the minimum temperature. You can use the steaming function. You can get acquainted with the detailed information here.
- Polyester. Ironed from the inside out through a moistened gauze. If the thing on the front side remains wrinkled, you will have to walk over it. Temperature 120-130 ° C. Read more here.
- Leatherette. When ironing, the areas should not touch. It is better to place a roller in the sleeve. Treat the surface from the seamy side through cheesecloth.
Minimum temperature, steam cannot be used. Read more here.
- Leather. Temperature range 110-140 ° С. Pre-straighten the product well. Read more here.
- Silk. Select a mode with the same name. Place moistened gauze on the front side (if the product is completely dry). The steaming mode cannot be turned on. Read more here.
Not all linen and cotton fabrics are natural... Manufacturers often add synthetic fibers, which make products cheaper, they are ironed at lower temperatures and wrinkle less. To avoid damaging your clothing, you should familiarize yourself with the composition of the fabric on the label.
Purpose of gauze, why and when is it recommended to use it?
Thin cotton fabric is the best way to protect shiny and delicate items. It is recommended to use gauze for ironing dark clothes, on which glimmers appear after the iron.
A few tips on how to use cotton fabric correctly:
- If the item is dry, it is recommended to pre-wet the cushioning material.
- It is good to steam the folds through cheesecloth.
- To give your clothes a bright color, you can soak the gauze cloth a little in vinegar.
Before moving on to another part of the garment, you should check how the fabric is ironed under the cotton fabric.
Can I iron without an iron?
You can give things a well-groomed look in different ways. Even a high-quality iron can fail at the most crucial moment, therefore it is important to know alternative methods, how to iron things without an iron:
- bathroom filled with hot water;
- moistened terry towels: spread clothes on one, spread, cover with another;
- boiling kettle: the thing is ironed with steam;
- vinegar and water: spray the product well;
- hair dryer: clothes are moistened, smoothed, then dried;
- The iron is ideal for ironing collars.
Ironing cabinet cope with any material. It will help get rid of even large creases, stretch the product after washing, make arrows on pants... Such devices allow you to iron curtains, curtains of outerwear by weight, eliminating the appearance of folds.
Secrets for different wardrobe items
Not all garments are cared for equally... Each thing requires a separate approach. To get the most out of your work, you need to follow simple rules.
|Wardrobe item||Some helpful tips|
|Pants||Iron folds, pockets, seams from the seamy side. Unscrew the trousers and iron the top, waistband, inside, then outside.|
|Jeans||Most often, such products are simply straightened after washing in order to preserve their original appearance.If you need to walk with an iron, you need to do it from the inside out.|
|Coat||Such items of clothing are not ironed. They need to be steamed by weight.|
|Raincoat||The processing method depends on the fabric. The raincoat fabric is ironed from the inside and then from the outside.|
|Blazer||Iron the gasket on the sleeves, after the sleeves themselves using a special board. Further, the back, floors, collar, padding and sides of the product.|
|Kids' things||Iron on the inside at the maximum temperature.|
|Skirts||Iron the inside out first, then the face. Pull the lining out, iron the panels as usual using cotton fabric.|
|Shirts||You need to start with the sleeves. The cuffs are ironed from the inside, then the collar, the top of the back, the front of the product.|
|Bedding||Fold the product 4 times. The fabric must be damp. The temperature depends on the material.|
|Jacket||Turn inside out, select "silk" mode. To avoid damaging the fabric, use gauze.|
|Curtains and curtains||The products are ironed wet at a temperature of 110-130 degrees. With quick, gentle movements.|
|Cap||Moisten the baseball cap, put on the frame. Spread out the fabric well. Leave to dry completely.|
|T-shirts||Iron the small details after the sleeve so that arrows appear on the bend. Iron the back, shelves.|
|Paper||Spread out well, cover with a cloth, select the lowest temperature. Increase it gradually during ironing.|
Here are some simple care tips to keep your clothes looking original and respectable.
How much does a home service cost?
A popular service that allows you to give the product a well-groomed, pleasant look. Ironing is carried out using special equipment that delicately affects the material, eliminating irregularities, creases.
Specialists work individually:
- the degree of wear, the structure of the material is assessed;
- the manufacturer's advice on care is taken into account;
- the optimum temperature is selected.
The cost of professional ironing depends on the size, number of items, type of material. The average price is 1700-2000 rubles.
Helpful hints and tips
A few simple guidelines:
- The surface of the equipment must be clean.
- Only boiled water should be poured into the tank.
- It is better to purchase a large size ironer.
- Before work, you should prepare a coat hanger to hang clothes on them.
- Treat the stains left after ironing with peroxide.
- Gleams can be removed with a simple wet cloth.
- Do not iron not dry items, they will stain.
A few words in conclusion
There are different ways to care for individual wardrobe items. When choosing the temperature and ironing option, the fabric composition is taken into account. Read the label carefully before use.
Things should not be wet, only slightly damp, a yellow stain may remain on the product.
It is not recommended to store clothes for a long time after washing - streaks will appear, and it will be difficult to iron the clothes.
Adhering to simple recommendations, you can not only simplify the work, but also reduce the time spent on it... With increased employment, you can use the services of professionals.