How to gently and effectively remove mold from fabrics at home?
Fungal spores can only be seen under a microscope, but under favorable conditions they develop quickly and affect everything around.
If items are stored in a damp and warm room without occasional ventilation, the chances of mold growth are significantly increased.
Moldy things are dangerous because the fungus can quickly move to the closet, other furniture and walls. Also, some types of mold cause an allergic reaction in humans, and it is almost impossible to get rid of it with a large-scale spread.
How to remove fungus using folk methods?
How to remove mold with fabric at home? The sooner you start to act, the better. It is more difficult to wash the stubborn mold, especially since the rest of the things remain in the danger zone.
If there are no chemicals at hand, you can start the fight against the fungus with what will be in the kitchen:
- 9% vinegar;
- laundry soap;
- table salt and lemon juice;
- a piece of chalk;
- dairy products;
- hydrogen peroxide;
- boric acid;
There are many ways to remove mold stains from fabrics, depending on what you have at home and the type of fabric. If one option doesn't help, you can always try the next one.
This method will help not only to wash the thing, but also eliminate the unpleasant smell of fungus.
Method of application for hand wash:
- Add 20 ml of vinegar to 1 liter of water.
- Soak the item in warm water for 60 minutes.
- Wash with detergent.
The use of this product has no expiration date. Laundry soap is often used to remove stubborn stains. Soap removes mold stains with ease.
To do this, you need to soap the fabric well, paying special attention to the stains, leave it for an hour and then rinse it with warm water. Since laundry soap will not cope with the smell of fungus, it is recommended to add vinegar to the water.
Table salt and lemon
These two products are often used to remove dirt and bacteria. Apply lemon juice, preferably fresh, to the stains, and sprinkle them with salt.
It is best to dry in a well-ventilated area or outdoors. Then you need to wait until the juice is completely dry, and then wash with the addition of powder. Fresh tomato juice is a good alternative to lemon juice..
There is caustic soda in every kitchen. Since the product is part of the soap, it can be used to remove various stains.
To get rid of mold with this substance, you need to dilute it with water to a gruel state and rub it into the places of contamination with a brush. After 10-15 minutes, wash off with cool water.
Ammonium is used for washing synthetic products... To do this, you need to mix alcohol and water in equal proportions.
Then rub the moldy areas of the fabric with this solution and leave for 20 minutes. Then wash with detergent.
Alcohol will not eliminate the unpleasant odor of mold, so then it is recommended to wash the fabric with the addition of vinegar or lemon juice.
a piece of chalk
It is advisable to use chalk to remove mold from colored fabrics. Mode of application:
- Crush the chalk into powder.
- Apply it to stains.
- Cover with waterproof paper.
- Remove powder from the cloth.
When heated, the fungus should be absorbed into the chalk and completely come off the product.
Sour milk or other fermented milk products
You don't always need to rush to get rid of sour milk, because it can be useful in removing various stains.
Kefir, sour cream, yogurt do an excellent job of removing mold.
For this you need:
- Soak the cloth for half a day in a fermented milk product.
- Wash with added detergent.
- Dry thoroughly.
The use of household chemicals
If the fungus has already eaten into the product and folk remedies cannot cope, you can resort to household chemicals.
You need to choose based on your financial situation and type of fabric. For example, "Whiteness" cannot be used to remove stains from woolen garments.
A universal gel product with antibacterial action.
Contains chlorine and perfectly copes with fungus, mold, greasy dirt and eliminates unpleasant odors. Cost - 70-90 rubles per liter.
To get rid of mold on the fabric, you need to dilute 20 ml of liquid in a liter of water, rub the stains with a solution and wash in warm water after 15-20 minutes.
It is better to first try washing a small and inconspicuous area of the product and check if the color changes. The product has a whitening effect.
Chlorine bleach removes fungal odors and is great for mildew stains on clothes. Sold in liquid form. Cost - from 40 rubles per liter.
The procedure for removing stains differs from using other products:
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of Whiteness in a liter of water.
- Put the mixture on fire and bring to a boil.
- Moldy items must be completely immersed in the solution.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes.
After this time, the stains should come off, and the water should become cloudy.
A strong stain remover can also deal with mold on clothes. Vanish has long established itself as one of the best detergents that can remove even the most difficult stains.
It can be used with all types of fabrics... The product has a pleasant aroma that will completely eliminate the smell of fungus.
Manufacturers offer three ways to remove stains: soaking, machine washing or wiping.
In the package, the product comes with a special cap, with which the amount of detergent is measured. The cost is 300 rubles per liter.
How to remove from delicate materials?
Silk and wool are usually considered delicate fabrics.To remove mold stains from delicate items, you need to use a mild product. They will carefully clean the thing from the fungus.
- Salt and ammonia solution... In a liter of water, dilute 6 tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of ammonia. Put the water on the fire and wait until the mixture boils. Then you need to cool the solution, apply to the places of pollution and leave for a couple of hours. Then wash in the usual way and adding detergent. Do not use a cold solution, as these fabrics do not tolerate hot water poorly.
- Hydrogen peroxide... The remedy is in every home medicine cabinet. Dissolve 5-6 tablespoons of peroxide in 500 ml of water and rub the stains with a solution. After 20 minutes, wash the products in soapy water and dry well.
- Turpentine... To get rid of mold with turpentine, you need to wipe the stains well with it. The difficulty lies in the fact that turpentine will leave greasy marks on the products. Removing greasy stains will take some time and you will need talcum powder or baby powder. It is necessary to sprinkle the traces with powder and leave for several hours. Then wash the product in the usual way.
Removing mold from white items is a difficult and complex process. It may require the use of not one, but several products that gently clean the thing from stains and leave no residue.
How to do it:
- It is necessary to pour hot water into a basin and add 1-2 tablespoons of washing powder.
- Rub the moldy areas with laundry soap.
- Immerse the items in a bowl of water for half an hour.
- After the specified time, you need to wash the thing in a machine with the addition of a solution of hydrogen peroxide. Add half a liter of water and a tablespoon of peroxide to the soap container.
To remove fungus from synthetic things, ammonia is used:
- Add a few drops of ammonia to 100 ml of water.
- Rub the moldy areas with the mixture, rub them and wait twenty minutes.
- Machine wash with detergent added at high temperature.
- Dry the product well.
As with many difficulties, mold is preventable. Following a few simple rules will help you avoid the hassle of mold stains on fabrics.
For this you need:
- Ventilate the room and cabinets regularly. Fresh air will not only help to avoid the appearance of mold, but also have a positive effect on health.
- Do not put dirty and clean clothes together. It is advisable to send dirty things to the wash immediately. The risk of mold on unwashed items is higher.
- Do not place cabinets and dressers tightly against walls. This is especially true for corner rooms.
- Take the time to put your clothes in the closet after ironing. Condensation generated during ironing is also moisture. It is advisable to wait another 15-20 minutes until the thing dries up.
- Use moisture-absorbing products. Special moisture-wicking bags will never be superfluous and do not take up much space in cabinets.
The video will tell you how to get rid of mold on fabric:
If you try hard, then remove mold from clothes work out. A problem noticed and corrected in time will not create dire consequences, but it is advisable to observe the rules of hygiene and prevent the appearance of fungus in the house.