Limescale forms on all appliances in which water is heated. Solid deposits reduce the coefficient of thermal conductivity, which is why more electricity or gas is wasted.
In some cases, scale can cause damage to the appliance.
You can cope with the problem with the help of household chemicals and folk remedies. Read about how to remove scale from different surfaces in the article.
- How to quickly remove deposits with folk remedies?
- How to clean with household chemicals?
- How can you deal with heavy plaque at home?
- How to wash from different devices and surfaces?
- Helpful information
How to quickly remove deposits with folk remedies?
You can cope with tough salt deposits with the help of available tools. Acids (citric, oxalic and acetic), soda and even carbonated drinks come to the rescue.
Citric acid is a popular limescale treatment... They use it in its pure form.
To remove plaque from the teapot, you will need 2 preservative bags weighing 10-15 g. They are poured into cold water and brought to a boil. For the remedy to work better, it is left inside for 2-3 hours.
Citric acid is not a corrosive oxidizing agent, therefore, it will not be able to cope with the old thick layer of scale. For its high-quality removal, the procedure must be carried out at least 3-5 times.
If it is necessary to process a flat surface, simply rub it with a lemon wedge. This method is suitable for removing a thin layer of scale when it has just started to form.
For better cleaning of the iron, you will need to do the following:
- Dissolve 10 g of citric acid in 100 ml of water
- Pour the solution into the reservoir.
- Turn on the iron, wait until it warms up.
- By holding the appliance upside down, steam is released.
- The procedure is continued until all the liquid comes out.
To clean a washing machine with a load of 5 kg, 200 g of citric acid is required. It is poured into the compartment for washing powder. Another 60 g of acid is added to the drum. After that, all that remains is to start the wash cycle at the maximum temperature. There should be no things in the typewriter at this time.
How to clean with vinegar?
Vinegar 9% is no less popular assistant in the fight against scale. It belongs to the more aggressive agents, therefore it can cope even with a thick old layer of scale. However, you must use vinegar carefully so as not to damage parts made of rubber or plastic.
Features for cleaning a kettle with vinegar:
- dilute 100 ml of table vinegar in 1 liter of water;
- pour it into a kettle so that it covers a layer of scale;
- bring water to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes;
- drain the water;
- if a plaque remains inside, it is removed with a hard sponge;
- after cleaning is complete, fresh water is taken into the kettle, boiled and drained.
Features of getting rid of the iron from lime deposits:
- To clean the iron in 1 liter of water, dissolve 1 tbsp. l. vinegar.
- The required amount of solution is poured into the tank.
- By holding the iron horizontally over the basin, steam is released.
Vinegar can be used to clean the washing machine, but the proportions must be strictly observed.
- Pour vinegar into the conditioner container at the rate of 10 ml for each kilogram of load (50 ml for a machine with a load of 5 kg).
- Start a wash cycle without laundry. The water temperature is set to the maximum.
- After its completion, turn on the "rinse" mode to get rid of the sour smell.
It is not recommended to pour vinegar into the washing machine drum as it can damage the rubber sleeve.
You can use baking soda to remove limescale deposits from your kettle and coffee machine. This is inexpensive and safe, but it cannot cope with an old thick layer of salt deposits.
To clean the kettle or coffee machine, proceed as follows:
- fill the container with water;
- add soda to the water - for every 500 ml, 1 tbsp. l. cleaning agent;
- turn on the device and bring the water to a boil, after which it is left to cool for 20-30 minutes;
- the container is washed, after which the device can be used as intended.
To cope with a thick layer of limescale, the recipe can be enhanced by adding salt to the water. If necessary, the procedure is repeated several times.
Coca-Cola, Fanta, Sprite
Carbonated drinks have the ability to dissolve tough salt deposits... They can be used to clean the kettle, coffee machine or iron. They don't add any auxiliary components to the soda, they work by themselves.
Removing deposits from the iron:
- pour soda into a container designed for water;
- connect the device to the network;
- holding the iron with the sole downward, release steam from it;
- after cleaning is complete, rinse the tank with water and iron the unwanted cloth using the steam function.
Instructions for removing plaque from a teapot or coffee maker:
- Open a bottle of sparkling water, let most of the gases evaporate.
- Pour the drink into the container that needs cleaning, leave to act for 30 minutes.
- Plug in the appliance and bring the soda to a boil.
- Let the drink cool, drain it together with the dissolved scale, rinse the container with clean water.
Colored drinks can stain the container. Therefore, for cleaning irons and plastic electric kettles, it is better to use Sprite instead of Coca-Cola or Fanta.
Fill the container with carbonated water only by ¾ part, no more, since when heated, the drink will actively boil.
Oxalic acid acts in a similar way to citric acid. You can buy it in the store in powder form. If the scale layer is small, use fresh sorrel leaves.
- Pour water into the kettle.
- Add 5 g of oxalic acid to it for each liter.
- Bring the solution to a boil, leave to cool.
- After half an hour, the solution is drained and the container is washed several times with clean water.
How to clean with household chemicals?
To remove scale, you can use household chemicals designed specifically for these purposes:
- Anti-scale. The composition contains a high concentration of acids in dry form. 2-2.5 liters of water will require 50 g of cleaning agent. The powder is suitable for descaling plastic, metal, glass. After boiling, the agent is left to act for 20 minutes. Price for 100 g - 13 rubles.
- Proffidiv. On sale you can find a composition for descaling in a kettle and in a washing machine. Use the product according to the instructions on the package. To clean the washing machine, you need 100 powder, pour it directly into the drum. To remove scale from a kettle, take 50 g of powder for every 3 liters of water. Price - 140-150 rubles per 100 g.
- Topper for kettles and water heaters. The liquid is used to remove scale from kettles, coffee makers and other heating machines. For 1 liter of water, 100 ml of cleaning agent is required. After heating to 50 degrees, it is left to act for half an hour. The composition is produced in Germany. Price for 250 ml - 145 rubles.
How can you deal with heavy plaque at home?
If the plaque on the walls of the device is strong, the following tips will help to cope with it:
- It is necessary to use either specialized formulations to remove a thick layer of salt deposits, or to increase the concentration of folk remedies.
- The cleaning procedure is repeated several times.
- If necessary, you can clean off the softened plaque with the hard side of the foam sponge.
- The holding time of the cleaning composition is doubled.
How to wash from different devices and surfaces?
Depending on the type of heating device, the methods for removing limescale will differ.
From the iron
To remove scale from the iron, you will need a cleaning solution (you can use soda, citric acid, vinegar and other means), which is poured into the water tank.
The iron is heated, lowered with the sole downward, holding it in weight... Using the steam function, rinse the device until the cleaning solution is completely removed. To collect fluid with salt deposits, use a basin.
Read more here.
From a water heater
To clean the boiler, you need to drain all the water from it, close the water supply taps. Then the heating element is removed (this will require unscrewing the lid). The heating element is placed in a cleaning solution, for example, with acetic acid and left for 30-60 minutes.
It is necessary to ensure that during processing the composition does not get on the sealing gum... When the scale dissolves, the device is rinsed with clean water and returned to its place. Read more about descaling the heating element of a water heater. here.
From the washing machine
To get rid of limescale in the washing machine, it is better to use specialized detergents, strictly following the instructions. This is the only way to guarantee that an expensive device will not fail.
Tells you about descaling in the washing machine this and this articles.
From the teapot
The easiest way to clean the kettle is. A washing solution is poured into it, brought to a boil and left to act for 30-60 minutes.
Then you need to drain the composition with the scale dissolved in it. Before using the device again, wash it thoroughly.... The water is drained several times.
When starting to clean, it is imperative to warn all household members that there is a caustic solution in the teapot. This will avoid accidental poisoning. Read more about how to descale your kettle. here.
From a thermopot
Thermo pot is an advanced alternative to the electric kettle, but it is not protected from the formation of limescale. You can cope with the problem with the help of improvised means (vinegar, soda, acid) or household chemicals.
The selected solution is poured into the container, brought to a boil, cooled and drained. If necessary, repeat the procedure. Read more here.
From the coffee machine
To remove limescale from the coffee machine, pour the solution into the water tank and start the machine. When the liquid boils, the device is turned off, but it is not immediately drained... The composition needs time to dissolve the limescale. This will take about half an hour.
For descaling, use both improvised means and professional household chemicals. Details - in this article.
From the pan
To remove limescale from a saucepan, pour a cleaning agent into it, put it on fire and cover it with a lid. When the liquid boils, the gas is turned off.
After 30 minutes, the water must be drained... If necessary, gently rub the surface with a soft brush.
Rinse the pan cleared of salts several times with clean water, after which it can be used as usual. Read more here.
From the steam generator
To remove scale from the steam generator, use citric or acetic acid. Household cleaners do the job well.
To remove salt deposits, proceed as follows:
- drain water from the boiler;
- pour the prepared solution into it;
- close the valve;
- turn on the device for maximum heating;
- iron unnecessary fabric, constantly supplying steam;
- turn off the device, let it cool down;
- drain the remaining liquid, rinse the reservoir.
With a humidifier
Humidifier cleaning instructions from scale:
- Drain the water.
- Remove dirt with a soft cloth.
- Pour acid-based cleaning solution into the reservoir.
- Leave to act for 3-5 hours.
- Rinse all elements with clean water.
It is impossible to connect the device to the network while the solution is in it. It is recommended to use non-aggressive formulations, for example, citric acid.
In order for the scale to form in the devices in a small amount, adhere to the following recommendations:
- only filtered water can be used for kettles and irons;
- before each set of water, the container must be rinsed and wiped with a rag;
- after boiling, unused water must be drained.
Tips to help you deal with lime deposits quickly and safely:
- After processing with any folk or chemical agent, you need to thoroughly rinse the surface to remove the caustic composition. The ingestion of acids into the body is hazardous to health.
- Do not rub scale with a hard metal brush or other sharp objects. This will damage the walls of the appliance. As a result, deposits will build up even faster.
- The cleaning solution should only work on hard instruments. Do not allow acids to get on gum and other seals so as not to spoil them.
Dealing with scale is easy. You can use the tools at hand to remove a small layer of limescale. If the salt deposits are impressive, they resort to the help of professional household chemicals.