The task of eliminating the smell of urine from carpet is typical for rooms in which children, pets or sick people live, who have poor control over their condition.
At the same time, if the troubles that arose when teaching a child to the potty can be easily solved with home remedies, then the cat-dog stench can become a real disaster.
How to remove the smell of urine from the carpet at home, we will tell you in the article.
- What's the first thing to do to remove odor from carpet?
- How to remove an unpleasant odor using household chemicals?
- How to clean a carpet with folk remedies?
- Special cases
- Turning to professionals
- Cleaning Tips
What's the first thing to do to remove odor from carpet?
The sooner the puddle is localized and dried, the higher the chances that there will be no smell.
To restore freshness to the carpet, you need:
- Blot the puddle immediately with paper or cloth towels, napkins or rags.
- Rinse the area with a mixture of water and vinegar essence (1: 1).
- Cover with a thick layer of baking soda without waiting for it to dry.
- Leave it on for 30-60 minutes until the powder absorbs moisture.
Baking soda cleans light-colored rugs well. For carpets with dark pile, salt, potato starch, chalk chips, or talcum powder are suitable. They will not discolor the finish.
How to remove an unpleasant odor using household chemicals?
Any carpet detergent can be used to remove urine stains and odors, as well as special formulations designed to clean trays and animals.
|Name||Appointment, release form||Volume||price, rub.|
|"Vanish"||Foam, powder, carpet shampoo||450 g||300|
|Udalix||Powder or spray for carpet cleaning||250 g||85|
|"Zoosan"||Destroyer of biological odors from animals||1 l||525|
|"DezoSan"||Deodorant for carpets||500 ml||260|
Before using household chemicals, it is worth making a test on an inconspicuous area of the carpet. If the structure and color of the pile is not damaged, the product can be applied to the stain.
Available in the form of powder, spray, active foam, liquid for dissolution in water. The method of application is detailed on the label.
Foam or dry powder is best for removing a fresh stain:
- the puddle must be removed with a napkin, paper towel, sponge;
- spray the foam, or cover the damaged area with a dry composition, leave for half an hour;
- vacuum clean;
- repeat processing if necessary.
When removing old stains, the exposure time should be increased to 1 hour.
The powder effectively removes unpleasant odors from the life of pets, is suitable for all materials.
To freshen up your carpet:
- 2-3 tbsp. l. powder must be diluted in 1 liter of water, beat up a strong foam.
- Apply to offensive area, brush. Leave on for 40 minutes.
If the marks are old, deeply embedded, the concentration of the solution should be increased.
The spray is convenient for spot application. It copes well with biological contamination and odors from animals or humans.
Specially formulated for the destruction of animal marks and odors on floor coverings, trays, sunbeds, carrycots.
A concentrated composition diluted with water (1: 9) you need:
- gently apply to the contaminated area;
- clean with a brush;
- wash off with clean water.
Zoosan is safe for all types of fabrics and has a hypoallergenic composition. It not only effectively removes even old stench, but also disinfects the surface.
When using "DezoSan" it is important to follow the instructions exactly. It can damage or discolor the rug.
To remove aroma:
- 1 - 2 g of granules must be poured with 10 liters of water, diluted thoroughly.
- Apply to carpet, leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with fresh water.
Carpet deodorant breaks down urine crystals to keep the carpet clean.
Concentrated formulations from pet stores may not be safe... It is important to strictly observe safety measures, and also not to exceed the dosage and the recommended exposure time.
How to clean a carpet with folk remedies?
Home remedies can do as well as professional counterparts to remove urine odor from carpet.
Lye corrodes urea and effectively flushes it out of the pile. After processing, neither stains nor stench will remain.
To clean the palace, you need:
- Make a thick solution of 1 liter of water and 2-3 tbsp. l. soap shavings.
- Add 15 ml vinegar (70%).
- Apply the composition to the contaminated area. For a more convenient, spot-on application, you can pour the product into a spray bottle.
- Leave on for 30-40 minutes. If the stain is very old and the smell is strong, increase the exposure time to 1 hour.
- Clean the carpet with a brush dipped in the same solution.
- Rinse the area with clean water.
- Dry well, vacuum clean.
The method is suitable for natural or synthetic flooring.
Peroxide is a versatile, safe cleaner for all light-colored surfaces.
To remove tags:
- a whole bottle of peroxide must be mixed with 2 tbsp. l. Fairy;
- Apply the resulting foam to the dirt, rub with a soft cloth brush;
- after 15 minutes, rinse the palace with a water-vinegar solution (3 tsp. essences per 1 liter of water);
This combination will help remove old marks, raise the pile, and restore the brightness of the color.
Baking soda is effective in removing both fresh and stubborn traces of urine.
For carpeting first aid:
- Sprinkle a wet area with a thick layer of powder. As it is absorbed, it turns yellow.
- Without waiting for complete drying, sweep away the baking soda, apply a new portion.
- Repeat until the composition stops staining (2-3 approaches are enough).
- Wait until it is completely dry, vacuum clean.
It is more difficult to remove the stubborn aroma:
- you need to prepare a thick gruel from soda and a few drops of water;
- cover the stain with a thick layer, leave for 20-30 minutes;
- brush, vacuum, or sweep away with a broom.
To remove ambergris from animal marks:
- You need to cover the stain with dry soda.
- Sprinkle it with undiluted vinegar essence (for this, the trigger from the spray bottle can be screwed directly to the bottle of vinegar). Do not wet it too much! There should be a violent reaction.
- Leave on for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove residues with a vacuum cleaner.
Animals cannot tolerate the vinegar aroma. If the cat is in the habit of shitting in the same place, the palace should be treated with a composition of water and essence (1: 1):
- Shake the product thoroughly. Pour into a spray bottle.
- Apply to the contaminated area and the area around it.
- Leave to dry completely.
- Rinse the entire carpet with a weak vinegar solution: 1 tsp. for 1 liter of water.
Vinegar will not only cope with the stench from urine, but also eliminate all household odors: from tobacco, smoke, cooking grease, dust.
The citrus scent from freshly squeezed lemon will quickly mask unpleasant aromas:
- undiluted juice must be applied to the contaminated area;
- after 15–20 minutes, rinse with fresh water.
Alcohol removes stench well, disinfects, returns brightness:
- undiluted vodka must be poured into a spray bottle;
- thoroughly moisten and clean the surface;
- dry, vacuum.
Iodine and potassium permanganate
An effective method for removing biological odor from dark pile carpets:
- In 1 liter of water, you need to dilute 2-3 g of potassium permanganate crystals.
- Add 1 tsp. iodine.
- Treat damaged carpet carefully.
- Rinse with clean water.
Cannot be used on a light surface.
Acts similarly to vodka:
- You should moisten urine stains generously with ammonia.
- Brush after 20 minutes.
- Rinse with fresh water.
Methods for removing odor from urine from animals, children or adults have their own characteristics.
Infant urine is virtually odorless. Dry a fresh stain quickly enough with napkins... Regular cleaning of carpet with "Vanish", "Cinderella" or any other compound for cleaning carpets will not let the smell appear in the future.
With age and the introduction of complementary foods, the aroma of baby urine becomes more pungent.
You can use safe tools to remove it:
- laundry soap,
- baking soda
- hydrogen peroxide.
Methods and means of removing the smell of baby urine from carpet are presented in this article.
The urine of an adult, especially a sick person, exudes a pungent odor, which becomes stronger over time.
Don't expect it to fade away by itself:
- Fresh puddles should be blotted off immediately with dry paper towels.
- Cover with soda, starch, pour lemon juice, vodka or ammonia.
- After drying, rinse again with Vanish to remove urine particles from the deep layers of the pile.
A light carpet can be washed with a weak solution of "Whiteness".
How do I remove animal tags?
The most difficult stains, for the removal of which it is strictly forbidden to use any chlorine-containing substances.
The most effective professional formulations are designed for:
- washing trays,
- sun loungers,
- places of stay of animals.
Before cleaning the carpet, it is important to make sure they are safe, to test on an inconspicuous area.
From home remedies, it is better to choose alcohol or ammonia. Read more about removing dog urine odor from carpet. here, getting rid of the smell of feline - here.
Turning to professionals
If you can't get rid of the pungent aroma on your own, you should use the services of dry cleaning.
With the removal of the smell from urine, do not delay and hope that it disappears.
In order not to spoil the palace:
- The puddle cannot be rubbed. It should be gently blotted with a large number of napkins or rags.
- Don't pour a lot of water. Glue-backed carpet can get wet. It will be difficult to dry natural long pile. To the smell of urine is added mustiness.
- You should not try to vacuum a carpet with a fresh stain, even if there is no puddle on it. Urine particles will fall into the tube, dust bag or filter of the vacuum cleaner.
It will be much more difficult to remove them from there, with each use of the vacuum cleaner the smell will spread to the entire room.
Using professional household chemicals, you should always make a test... If the pile is not discolored, has not faded, has retained its structure, the composition can be used for basic cleaning.
To remove the odor from human or animal urine from the carpet, you need to act immediately. In this case, you can use the entire arsenal of tools: ready-made household chemicals, professional animal products, folk methods, help from professionals.