Floor carpets impress with a variety of materials and quirky patterns. They bring coziness, keep warm and are simply pleasing to the eye. But both expensive and cheap products sooner or later get dirty.
Accidentally spilled coffee, blots from children's paints and felt-tip pens, cat fur or dogs - this is an incomplete list of the main enemies of our carpets. In addition, the material absorbs all household odors and quickly becomes dusty.
Regular cleaning is essential. But how can you restore a beautiful look to your favorite carpet? You can use the services of dry cleaners or try effective folk remedies that have been tested by more than one generation of housewives.
How to clean the carpet at home quickly and efficiently is described below in the article.
- Folk methods and recipes for home use
- Professional tools: what is better to use?
- Features of dry cleaning from dirt
- How can a very dirty and old carpet be cleaned, depending on the coating?
- Types of brushes
- How to properly remove specific pollution yourself at home?
- Using different vacuum cleaners
- Dry cleaning order
- Useful Tips
Folk methods and recipes for home use
Our grandmothers and mothers mostly used simple recipes from improvised means, because in those years there was no such variety of household chemicals.
Here are some of the most effective ways and budget funds:
How to clean with laundry soap?
It is a real lifesaver. Removes stains not only from clothes, but also from carpets.
Before use it is necessary to prepare a solution based on water (1 liter), soap shavings and turpentine (1 tablespoon each)... All ingredients are thoroughly mixed to form a good foam.
Apply the solution with a soft bristled brush. Then the dirt is wiped off with a cloth. After washing the foam, the carpet is left to dry. After airing, the smell of turpentine will go away completely.
Baking soda and vinegar: quick and effective
The cleaning procedure consists of several stages:
- First, the stain is sprinkled with baking soda and left for 30 minutes.
- After that, the powder is removed with a vacuum cleaner.
- In 1 liter of warm water, you need to dilute 1 tbsp. l.vinegar (9%). The resulting solution is poured into a spray bottle and sprayed with the carpet.
- After half an hour, it is cleaned with a stiff brush, moving strictly in the direction of the pile.
The principle of operation and method of application is the same - spraying. For 5 liters of slightly warmed water, ½ cup of powder goes.
The solution is applied for about 30 minutes. Then all that remains is to vacuum the carpet.
You can also deal with dust deposits with dry soda:
- it is scattered over the surface,
- rub lightly
- collected with a vacuum cleaner.
For more information on how to clean carpets with baking soda, read here.
One of the most effective ways to remove stubborn stains from carpet and restore brightness and freshness to it.
Sprinkle the carpet in thin streams and wipe the dirt with a soft cloth, then reapply the solution and let it “work” for 15 minutes.
If necessary, rub the stain several more times and dry the carpet completely. This can be done using a fan or a small floor-standing fireplace.
Suitable for different types of carpets: natural and synthetic... It also copes with the most common dirt.
Dissolve a little powder in a bucket or basin. It must be stirred vigorously so that the granules are completely dissolved, otherwise they will penetrate deep into the pile and it will be difficult to clean them.
It is better to use a sponge to work with soap composition.
Cleaves even the toughest stains... A little concentrated solution or fresh juice is applied to the carpet. After a couple of hours, it is removed with plain water. Rinsing is necessary so that the villi do not stick together.
There is nothing better than natural carpet cleaning. Frost will kill bacteria and dust mites. Dry snow cope with traces of blood and "surprises" from pets.
You need to rub the carpet with snow on both the front and the wrong side.... Turning it upside down, you can walk on it so that as much dust as possible comes out of the pile. The rest of the snow is swept away with a broom.
After such cleaning, the house will be filled with the smell of freshness that no chemical substance will give.
Professional tools: what is better to use?
- Faberlic. Liquid concentrate for cleaning carpets, does not damage the pile, removes stains perfectly and gives a pleasant freshness. The cost of the bottle is 300 rubles.
- Karcher. One of the best tools. The powder does not cause allergies, forms an active foam that fights almost all types of dirt, has a pleasant aroma. One package costs 1400 rubles.
- Nordland. High quality dry cleaning agent. It is produced in the form of an aerosol, which is very easy to use. Price - 350 rubles.
Features of dry cleaning from dirt
It is produced using special powders, therefore it is often called powder.
The maximum effect is achieved in the fight against fresh and light dirt. Process dry cleaning light and fast enough.
It consists of the following stages:
- Vacuum the carpet to remove the dust layer and lift the lint.
- Spray conditioner for about 15 minutes to help remove stains.
- Spread the powder in an even layer.
- "Drive" the powder into the pile with a special device for dry cleaning.
- Rub with a sponge and leave for a while.
- Remove powder residues with a vacuum cleaner.
- Additionally, you can use a stain remover.
- Long pile carpet is sometimes brushed to give it a neat look.
How can a very dirty and old carpet be cleaned, depending on the coating?
When removing stubborn dirt, consider the color and type of pile. This information will help you choose the right effective and gentle remedy.
For long-haired use a soapy solution with good lather... It is applied only with a soft cloth. Hard brushes and sponges can ruin the appearance of the product. The most serious stains are additionally treated with a steam cleaner; it is also recommended to purchase special equipment.
Starch, baking soda or powder is not recommended for dark carpets. They leave ugly stains.
Better to take:
White carpets it is safer to clean with special products, also can be used:
- laundry soap.
But lemon juice will leave yellow marks.
Material: viscose, silk, synthetic
Before treating the carpet by any means, look at the label. Natural materials (wool or viscose) require careful handling.
Synthetic carpets are easier to maintain. It is enough to vacuum them regularly. Stains should be removed while they are fresh using any convenient means. So there will be no extra hassle with the carpet. Silk carpets are best dry-cleaned.
For more information on how to clean wool carpets, see this article.
Types of brushes
Various tools are used to clean carpets. Concerning brushes, then you can choose the following models:
- Manual. Differs in ease of use and availability. You can choose brushes with the optimal stiffness and bristle length. They help get rid of stains and animal hair.
- Mechanical. With the help of rollers, the brushes move and collect small debris from the carpets. It accumulates in a special compartment. A good alternative to a vacuum cleaner.
- Nozzles for vacuum cleaner for cleaning wool... Copes quickly and efficiently even with stubborn wool, suitable for most types of carpets.
How to properly remove specific pollution yourself at home?
Often completely unexpected dirt remains on the carpet. In each case, there are tricks to restore the beautiful appearance of the coating. Will tell about the removal of various old stains this article.
Has a jelly consistency. A fresh stain from a toy can be removed using various folk methods:
- laundry soap and the like.
Read about ways to remove slime from carpet here.
To harden the stain, you need to use pieces of ice. They are wrapped in foil and carefully guided over the clay until it becomes hard. Now it can be easily removed with a plastic knife.
The remaining greasy mark can be removed by any means such as:
- "Selena Carpet" and so on.
The main thing is that they are strong enough to break down fat molecules. In more detail, methods for removing plasticine from carpet are described here.
It is necessary to close the door to the room, and open the window... Collect the balls of mercury with a rubber bulb or syringe and release them into a glass jar. Treat the carpet with bleach or potassium permanganate.
Read about how to correctly and safely remove mercury from the carpet. here.
Fresh stains should be removed with a paper towel or cotton wool soaked in hydrogen peroxide.Finally, ammonia (tbsp / 500 ml of water) will help to discolor traces.
It will quickly deal with fresh pollution:
- regular alcohol,
You can also use a stain remover. Another tip is to expose the carpet to the sun. From ultraviolet light, the brilliant green itself discolors.
It's easy to deal with them:
- lemon juice
- coarse table salt
- various aerosols can be sprayed periodically.
Find effective recipes for removing various odors from carpet in this article.
You can remove a stain without a trace only if it is fresh. With old marks, it is better to contact a dry cleaner.
To remove a stain, you need:
- Collect all liquid with napkins.
- Then prepare a solution of vinegar (1 part) with water (3 parts).
- Water the area abundantly with this liquid, open the windows and leave for a couple of hours.
- After this period, sprinkle the stain with regular soda.
- When the baking soda has absorbed all the moisture, you can simply sweep it off with a broom, brush, or suck in with a vacuum cleaner.
Finally, spray a small amount of your favorite fabric softener, previously diluted with water.
Read about ways to remove traces and odors from cat urine here, dogs - in this the article left by the child - here.
Using different vacuum cleaners
Today, every housewife cleans houses with a vacuum cleaner. But there are several options for this technique. And cleaning each of them is different:
- Normal. The most common device in every home. Helps to remove particles of dust and animal hair from the pile. Before you start cleaning stains, you need to thoroughly vacuum the carpet to get rid of excess dirt.
- Detergent. Steam cleaners help you quickly disinfect and clean your carpet. Soda and shampoos for textiles are used as auxiliary products. The result is simply amazing. The pile becomes clean, acquires its original color and pleasant smell.
How to clean a carpet without a vacuum cleaner, for example, from pet hair, you can find out here.
Dry cleaning order
It is better not to try to clean expensive natural carpets yourself. It is also very difficult to remove stubborn stains. To do this, resort to dry cleaning services. This procedure will cost at least 2,000 rubles, but it will help preserve the carpet.
When choosing a dry cleaner, it is worth considering some of the nuances:
- it should be a professional dry cleaner, not just a cleaning company;
- recommendations of friends and honest reviews on sites will help;
- cleaning carpets at home is a way to drain money;
- do not chase cheap services, they are often offered by amateurs.
On the forums, hostesses share their secrets of carpet cleaning... Salt, soda, vinegar and ammonia are in the lead among the available means. Each housewife chooses professional products individually: someone prefers dry, and someone prefers wet cleaning.
Users agree in one opinion: it is better not to clean expensive carpets yourself, but to entrust them to professionals.
- Carpets should be vacuumed at least once or twice a week.
- Dry clean regularly to restore color brightness and pleasant scent to the material.
- Prevent stains from eating and drying out. Easier to remove them "in hot pursuit".
- In winter, it is imperative to take carpets and rugs out into the snow.
- Do not use aggressive bleaches.
- Any new product should be tested on an inconspicuous part of the carpet (for example, under furniture).
Cleaning carpets helps to keep their attractive appearance longer and removes unnecessary litter and dust from the apartment. Only the hostess decides which way to use.
Whichever tool is used, the main thing is not to run your home, constantly keeping it clean.