How to remove the smell from the refrigerator after rotten meat at home?
Lost meat is always unpleasant. However, there is also a much more serious problem in the form of a pungent odor that is absorbed into the walls of the refrigerator.
It is so persistent that it can last for several months and even spoil other foods.
Read about how to remove the smell after rotten meat from the refrigerator and freezer in the article.
What to do first?
When you feel an unpleasant odor, do not immediately grab onto a wet rag. The sequence of actions should be as follows:
- pack spoiled meat in a plastic bag and throw it away;
- disconnect the refrigerator from the mains and leave it to defrost;
- remove all food and examine them for damage;
- throw away low-quality products - they can remain fresh, but having absorbed the smell of missing meat, they themselves will become its source;
- butter, boiled potatoes, cooked cereals quickly absorb foreign aromas - you need to inspect the entire contents of the refrigerator;
- all removable parts: shelves, boxes, containers, you need to get out and wash with warm water;
- rinse and dry the seals - if blood gets on them, they will become a source of odor even after the refrigerator is completely processed.
How to remove the "aroma" with improvised means?
You don't have to go to the store to deal with the smell of rotten meat. In every home there are tools to destroy bacteria that cause persistent unpleasant odors. These include:
- Soda. To prepare the cleaning solution, you need a liter of hot water and 4 tablespoons of baking soda. In the resulting composition, moisten a rag and wash the refrigerator. After wiping one area, you need to rinse the rag under a stream of running water, and only then dip it again into the soda solution. When processing is finished, wipe the refrigerator with a clean damp cloth and then dry with a paper towel.
- Vinegar. The acid perfectly neutralizes all foreign aromas.A slightly concentrated solution is suitable for caring for the refrigerator (1-2 tablespoons of vinegar 9% are taken for 1 liter of water). In it, a rag is moistened and all accessible surfaces are wiped with it. Then they are rinsed with clean water.
- Ammonia... To prepare the detergent, 5 drops of ammonia and 1-2 liters of water are enough. Being a source of a pungent smell, such a solution will interrupt the trail left over from rotten meat.
Wash off the product with clean water. If, after such treatment, the refrigerator smells of ammonia, you should not worry, after 2-3 days the smell will disappear.
- Alcohol. It not only neutralizes odors, but also disinfects surfaces. To wash the refrigerator, you can use vodka, diluting it with water in equal proportions. To give the solution a pleasant aroma, you can add the juice of half a lemon or orange to it. All shelves are wiped with the resulting product, left for 15 minutes, and then washed with plain water.
- Potassium permanganate. On its basis, a solution of weak concentration is prepared. It should be slightly pinkish. All elements are wiped with it, after which the remnants of the product are washed off with water. Potassium permanganate disinfects surfaces well, destroying microbes.
- Hydrogen peroxide... This is an affordable recipe that will not only help get rid of the smell of rotten meat and bacteria, but also whiten yellowed plastic surfaces. Peroxide 3% is poured into a suitable container, a soft cloth is dipped into it and the shelves and walls of the refrigerator are wiped with it. After 15 minutes, treat them with clean water.
Using the means at hand, you need to take care of your own safety. It is necessary to wash the refrigerator with disinfectant solutions with gloves, in a well-ventilated area.
How to eliminate with household chemicals?
In the departments with household chemicals, you can find various products that are designed to eliminate unpleasant odors in the refrigerator. To make the right choice, you need to navigate the assortment, study the composition and principle of action of the detergent.
What to look for:
- Adsorbents. They come in the form of small plastic containers that are attached to the side of the refrigerator. Inside are adsorbents, for example, a mixture of activated carbon and gel.
Such devices are capable of absorbing foreign aromas for 2-3 months. They can be used to get rid of the smell of rotten meat, but only after washing the refrigerator first.
- Liquid cleaning compounds... They are available as sprays. With their help, it will be possible not only to get rid of the unpleasant odor, but also to wash the device. Most of these products do not require rinsing.
- Ozonizer. This appliance destroys odor-causing germs and helps fight mold. Oxygen destroys harmful flora and slows down the processes of spoilage of products, increasing their shelf life. You can use the ozonizer, but only after thoroughly washing the refrigerator.
To surely get rid of a persistent odor, it is recommended to use several means at once: wash the shelves with a specialized composition, and then put the absorber inside.
Top 3 best
The smell of rotten meat is very persistent, so only the most effective formulations can cope with it, which include:
- Spray 500 ml HG for hygienic cleaning of the refrigerator... The liquid is easy to spray, does not require rinsing. It is applied to contaminated surfaces, left for several minutes, and then removed with a dry cloth. Price - 280 rubles.
- Refrigerator cleaner Wpro 500 ml... Spray with a pleasant lemon scent not only removes all types of dirt, but also stops unpleasant odors. Formulated specifically for food contact surfaces. The composition can be used to clean the main section and the freezer. Price - 390 rubles.
- Barrier.Fridge odor absorber... It is used after washing the shelves by placing a compact appliance on one of the walls. Average service life is 3 months. Price - 200 rubles.
How to remove ambergris from the freezer?
Freezer cleaning features:
- turn off the freezer;
- remove frozen foods;
- open the door and wait until the ice melts on its own - do not use heating objects to speed up this process;
- collect all the melt water;
- wash the freezer with a detergent - it is better to stop the choice on those compounds that have an antibacterial effect, for example, hydrogen peroxide;
- clean the drain channel;
- process the seals;
- rinse off the product with clean water, wipe all elements dry;
- leave to ventilate for 8-12 hours.
Tips for removing bad odor from the refrigerator:
- To get rid of the smell better, ventilate the refrigerator after washing with any means. It is left open at least overnight.
- Do not use powder for cleaning. Even undiluted baking soda can scratch the surface of the plastic. In them, bacteria and aromatic molecules will be absorbed much faster.
- For washing, use soft rags or sponges. Refrigerator brushes are not suitable.
- All food must be removed before starting cleaning. The use of household chemicals with a full refrigerator is unacceptable.
- Do not use aggressive compounds such as bleach or whiteness to care for the device. If ingested, they have a toxic effect on the body.
You can find ways and means to eliminate refrigerator odor in this section.
How to clean the refrigerator from the smell of rotten meat, the video will tell you:
You should not tolerate the smell of rotten meat from the refrigerator. You can cope with it with the help of improvised means or household chemicals. A little effort is enough to return the appliance to its original freshness.
At one time I managed to defeat the smell of rotten meat in the refrigerator with the help of a chemical destroyer "Skunk-Out". The meat in the refrigerator then went rotten as a result of turning off the lights in the house.
And where did you buy this liquid, if not a secret?
You can order online. In rare cases, it can be found in specialized stores.