Even the cleanest housewife can smell in the refrigerator. Foreign aromas circulating between the shelves can be deeply absorbed into plastic and rubber.
If you have to pinch your nose every time you open the refrigerator door, you need to take action.
How to remove the smell in the refrigerator at home with the help of folk and store means, how to clean the device inside, read the article.
How to remove an unpleasant odor using folk remedies?
Folk remedies to help get rid of the smell in the refrigerator:
- Vinegar solution... Its concentration should not be high in order not to damage the enamelled walls of the device. For 250 ml of water, 1 tablespoon of vinegar 9% is enough.
In the finished product, a soft matter is moistened and all elements of technology are wiped with it, from the walls to the sealant.
- Ammonia... In years past, he has been the # 1 helper in the fight against unpleasant odors and stubborn dirt. It does not leave streaks, perfectly neutralizes odors, destroys microbes and fungal flora.
To prepare the solution, you will need 5 drops of ammonia and a glass of water. In the resulting product, matter is moistened and passed over all the shelves and sections of the refrigerator. After finishing the treatment, wipe it with a dry towel.
- Baking soda... To get rid of the smell, you need to prepare a soda solution. For 1 glass of water, 2 teaspoons of powder is enough. The composition must be mixed, moisten a rag in it and wash the refrigerator. After cleaning is complete, wipe all treated items with a clean damp cloth and then with a dry towel.
- Alcohol. It perfectly destroys bacteria that cause unpleasant odors. To prepare the cleaning solution, you need ½ cup of water and 4 tablespoons of vodka. All surfaces are treated with the resulting product. To give the solution a pleasant smell, you can add 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil to it.
- A mixture of liquid soap and hydrogen peroxide... A bottle of hydrogen peroxide with a concentration of 3% is poured into a suitable container, a few drops of liquid soap are added to it. The resulting product is impregnated with a sponge and wipe all surfaces of the refrigerator with it.Leave the composition to act for half an hour, after which it is washed off with water.
- Potassium permanganate solution... A few crystals must be added to warm water to make it slightly pinkish. This means the sponge is impregnated and all accessible surfaces are treated. Finish cleaning by washing the refrigerator with a clean, damp cloth.
He will tell you more about how to remove the smell from the refrigerator with folk remedies. this article.
What can you put inside the refrigerator?
To completely neutralize the unpleasant odor, you can put the following fresheners in the refrigerator:
- lemon cut into large slices - it is placed in a saucer and left uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, such a remedy is very effective in combating any pungent odors that have eaten into the plastic;
- sliced rye bread - they are laid out on each shelf;
- raw rice;
- baking soda - it is poured into a suitable container and left for a day;
- activated carbon - it is recommended to crush it to achieve the optimal effect;
- apple slices;
- ground coffee;
- raw potatoes - you do not need to peel the tubers, they are simply cut into several parts, laid out on plates and placed on the shelves of the refrigerator;
- spicy herbs - thyme, tarragon, basil;
- cat litter - this method may seem unusual, but it works perfectly, silica gel absorbs not only foreign odors well, but also absorbs excess moisture.
How to quickly remove household chemicals?
You can get rid of the smell in the refrigerator using household chemicals. These formulations are sold in retail stores and online markets.
How to wash the inside of the household appliance? Three effective remedies to neutralize unpleasant odors:
- The drug "Class" for express cleaning of refrigerators with odor neutralization. The liquid is produced in convenient bottles equipped with a spray.
It not only destroys aromatic molecules, but also has a high detergency and prevents the accumulation of dirt. The composition costs 100 rubles.
- Odor absorber Topperr 3110... The absorber is attached to adhesive tape on any wall of the refrigerator. It contains activated carbon, as well as mineral and carbon adsorbents. The tool costs about 300 rubles.
- SmellOFF odor remover... This composition not only gets rid of the unpleasant "smell" of spoiled products, but is used as a cleaning agent. The formula is based on natural ingredients. The price per package is 1250 rubles.
If you just need to remove an unpleasant odor, then you can purchase an absorbent in the form of an adsorbent.
For more information on how to clean the fridge inside and get rid of the smell, read here.
How to get rid of strong ambergris?
To get rid of a strong smell in the refrigerator, you need to find out the cause of its occurrence. It is possible that it appears due to violations in the operation of technology. If this is the case, you need to call the master.
The following recommendations will help to get rid of persistent odor:
- Thorough wash of the device. It is not enough to simply wipe the surfaces; you need to remove all the shelves and sections and process them.
- To wash the refrigerator, you need to use not ordinary water and soap, but products with an antiseptic effect, since bacteria and fungi often become the source of an unpleasant odor.
To get rid of them, you need to use means that can not only wash them off, but destroy them. It can be vodka or ammonia.
- Be sure to wash not only the main part of the refrigerator, but also the freezer, as well as all the seals and the pallet.
- If folk remedies in the fight against unpleasant odors turned out to be ineffective, professional household chemicals are connected. You need to fix the result using special absorbers.
- In the most advanced cases, refrigerator ionizers are used. These are electrical appliances that kill bacteria and get rid of foreign odors. It is enough to put it in the refrigerator for a few minutes a day.
Features of removal, depending on the cause of the appearance
The choice of one or another remedy will depend on the exact reason for the fridge smells unpleasant.
The source of the technical odor is plastic dust that remains on the surface of the refrigerator from the factory.
- lemon juice or vinegar works well with the smell of garlic and fresh fish;
- to get rid of a technical odor, it is better to use ammonia;
- to get rid of mold, hydrogen peroxide or a mixture of vinegar and soda is used;
- get rid of the rotten meat plume you can use baking soda - it is poured onto a moistened spot and left for 15 minutes, only after that you can start cleaning;
- rotten eggs smell strongly - if this trouble has occurred, then you can deal with it with the help of a weak solution of potassium permanganate, after cleaning in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, you need to leave a few slices of lemon or orange.
How not to do it and why?
Important prohibitions that should not be violated:
- Do not rub the surface of the refrigerator with powdered products. Abrasives will cause scratches, into which the aroma molecules will be absorbed even deeper.
- It is not recommended to use a hard sponge for the maintenance of the equipment, as it can damage the plastic.
- In no case should copper sulfate be used, despite the many positive reviews. It helps to cope with mold, but for a person this agent is poisonous, therefore it has no place in the refrigerator.
- The inner walls of the appliance must not be washed with bleach or whiteness. These fluids can ruin plastic and cause health problems.
Tips for getting rid of bad fridge odors:
- before proceeding with the removal of the smell, the refrigerator must be emptied and thoroughly washed with soapy water, remove all debris from it;
- when working with ammonia and other strongly smelling substances, precautions must be taken - use a mask to protect the respiratory system, and put gloves on your hands;
- if none of the methods helped to cope with the unpleasant smell, then you need to check the drain hole - it is possible that it is clogged, which is why it has become a source of a persistent aroma;
- the smell of burning is not a reason to wash the refrigerator, but the basis for checking its technical serviceability, most likely there are problems with wires or components.
A foreign smell in the refrigerator is not a cause for frustration. It is enough to make a little effort and there will be no trace of the unpleasant aroma. Both improvised means and household chemicals, developed specifically for these purposes, do an excellent job with this task.