In the cold season, outerwear gets dirty especially quickly. The reason for this is slush, rain, snow.
There is a high likelihood of getting dirty on public transport or just outside. Therefore, it is so important to know the basic rules for washing outerwear, which will be discussed in the article.
Can and how to wash correctly?
To wash your outer garments and not damage them, the following rules must be observed:
- Before starting washing, you need to examine the label. It will contain information on the care of a particular product. You cannot violate the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Before starting a machine wash, you must set the correct mode. Most often, outerwear is not washed in hot water and is not wrung out at high speeds.
- It is better to choose liquid concentrates as a detergent. They dissolve quickly in water and rinse well from fabric fibers. For membrane fabrics and for products impregnated with water-repellent compounds, there are specialized gels.
- Natural fur coats, sheepskin coats and leather jackets are not allowed to be washed.
- Before you start washing, things need to be properly prepared. All removable elements unfasten, check the pockets by turning them out to the wrong side.
How to wash different things?
Not all upper items can be washed using a single algorithm. Depending on the type of clothing, the rules for caring for them will differ.
Jackets are sewn from dense fabric so that they keep their shape well... You cannot wash such things in hot water, this will lead to their damage and deformation.
If there are stubborn stains on the product, you need to try the stain remover on an inconspicuous area and only after that proceed to the global wash.
If the manufacturer allows washing in the machine, then the spin must be turned off... Woolen and leather jackets are processed by hand. Details - in this article.
A fur coat made of natural fur is cleaned only in dry cleaning. In other cases, you need to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
If washing a fur coat is allowed, then it is carried out manually, or on a delicate mode... Under no circumstances should the surface of the product be rubbed.
The thing is soaked in warm, but not hot, water (not higher than 40 degrees). Heavily soiled areas such as collars or sleeves are rubbed with a soft sponge. Do not keep the product in water for more than half an hour. For washing, use only liquid detergents.
Read about the rules for washing fur coats here.
All types of coats can be washed at home if done correctly... Woolen, cashmere and drape products are afraid of high temperatures. Therefore, the water should not exceed 30 degrees.
You cannot rub your coat with a brush. Remove stains with a soft sponge. Hand washing is carried out in the bathroom, since it is difficult to find a suitable basin in size.
You cannot twist and wring out the coat, you can only slightly crush it with your hands... The water should drain off on its own. All these recommendations will allow you to maintain the shape of the product, prevent damage and save on dry cleaning.
You can find out about the rules for cleaning and washing a coat here.
Jacket or down jacket
Jackets and down jackets are easy to wash... As a rule, the manufacturer allows machine washing, but with some restrictions:
- the maximum permissible water temperature is 40 degrees;
- spin speed - the lowest possible;
- additional rinse mode - on;
- detergent composition - only liquid detergent;
- program: "Delicate wash" or "Biopuh".
To prevent the filler from getting lost in lumps, you can throw 2-3 tennis balls into the machine when washing. You will find a lot of useful information about washing jackets and down jackets here.
Warm sweaters can be washed both in a typewriter and by hand. Wool products, angora, cashmere or knitted sweaters require delicate handling.
Rules to follow:
- The maximum allowable water temperature is 30 degrees.
- Program: Delicate or Wool.
- The spin is turned off, and the speed is reduced to a minimum.
- The agent is chosen only gel-like. It's good if it contains lanolin. It gives softness to woolen things, prevents the formation of pellets.
It is not enough to wash a sweater or knitted sweater properly. They still need to be properly dried.
Read how to wash a sweater here... If the jacket has sat down after washing, it will help this article.
It is necessary to wash the jacket only in case of urgent need.... If not, then they are limited to dry or wet cleaning using a medium hard brush.
When it is impossible to avoid washing, the manual method is preferred. Before washing, shoulder straps must be removed.
To prevent the tunic from fading, it is pre-soaked in vinegar solution. (250 ml of vinegar with a concentration of 9% per 10 liters of water). After half an hour, the main procedure is started.
Water should be no higher than 30 degrees, dirt is removed carefully, without the use of brute force. You cannot squeeze out the thing, the water is driven off with your palms.
It is not recommended to wash a sheepskin coat in a typewriter... If it is made from natural materials, then this procedure is abandoned in 100% of cases. Clean the product by dry or wet cleaning.
In the first case, semolina, salt, breadcrumbs or a rubber brush are used to remove stains. Wet cleaning involves local treatment of contaminants with water and liquid washing staves.
A windbreaker is not a picky thing to care for. She is not afraid of automatic processing. It is carried out as follows:
- remove all small things from pockets;
- turn the windbreaker to the wrong side;
- if the sleeves and collar are heavily soiled, they are washed by hand;
- put the thing in the drum;
- set the washing parameters: water - up to 50-60 degrees, spin - no more than 600 rpm;
- if powder is used, then turn on the function "Extra rinse".
After removing the windbreaker from the machine, shake it several times and hang it up to dry.
Raincoats from viscose, cotton, wool or silks can be washed in a machine and in a basin... So that after such processing the thing does not deteriorate, the water should not be hot. This will avoid deformation of the product and loss of color. The maximum water temperature is 40 degrees.
If there is a stain on the product, it is cleaned in advance by applying a detergent composition to the contaminated area. After 10-15 minutes, you need to rub the problem area with a sponge or soft brush. All raincoats, except those made of wool and silk, can be wrung out.
Sweatshirt or hoodie
If there is a print on the hoodie or sweatshirt, then they refuse to machine wash. The procedure is carried out manually.
Features of its implementation:
- Fill the basin with water not hotter than 40 degrees.
- Dissolve the gel in it to form a foam.
- Soak the product for 10 minutes.
- Rub the stains by hand.
- Rinse the item, let the water drain freely.
Washing membrane fabrics is associated with certain difficulties. They need to be processed only with special compounds that allow you to preserve the water-repellent impregnation.
Before using the membrane gel, wash the compartment of the washing machine.to remove powder residues from it.
The water temperature should not exceed 40 degrees. Rinse the product twice. The spin is carried out at low speed.
Do not use stain removers or fabric softeners. Learn more about the rules for washing membrane fabrics this article. You can learn how to wash a "slide" suit here.
General rules for drying after washing
To prevent things from being damaged during the drying process, the following rules must be observed:
- it is better to dry outerwear on hangers - so it will not lose shape and will not crumple;
- the room must be well ventilated - this will speed up the drying process;
- when drying in the fresh air, do not allow direct sunlight to hit the clothes;
- do not hang things on a heating radiator or other heat sources;
- it is impossible to put away an undried thing for storage - this will lead to the appearance of an unpleasant odor.
How to quickly dry clothes after washing, will tell you this publication.
Tips that come in handy when washing outerwear:
- If there are complex stains on the product, they must first be soaked and washed. Only then can you start basic care.
- Rub the stains with a soft sponge if necessary. Hard fiber brushes cannot be used.
- Outerwear should be washed as soon as it gets dirty, but not too often. Enough 2-3 washings per season.
- Bleach and stain removers must be used with care, they can damage the fibers or discolor the fabric.
Caring for warm clothes has certain characteristics. The main rules that must be followed: do not wash in hot water, do not wring out clothes at high speeds, do not use powder formulations. Compliance with these recommendations will allow you to keep things clean without compromising their quality.