Even tulle made of high-quality material loses its attractive appearance during operation under the influence of external factors. Timely and correct washing will help to return it to its original state.
Is it possible and how to properly wash tulle (nylon and other materials) in an automatic washing machine (in what mode, at what temperature), as well as manually.
How to soak a very dirty curtain, how to get rid of greasy stains and mold at home? You will find answers to questions in the article.
- Is it washable?
- Do I need to soak before washing and in what?
- How to do it correctly in an automatic washing machine: in what mode (program), at what temperature?
- Manually at home
- How to bleach very dirty and yellowed ones?
- Features depending on the type of fabric
- How to remove stains?
- How to dry?
- Useful Tips
Is it washable?
Tulle needs careful handling, as it is usually sewn from delicate and sometimes quite expensive fabrics. And if there are no plans to change the tulle in the near future, then it is preferable to wash it by hand.
Do I need to soak before washing and in what?
The tulle must be properly prepared before washing. Remove the curtain from the window and thoroughly shake it out on the street or balcony... This will help get rid of excess dust accumulated on it.
If you ignore this step, then after washing the tulle curtains will turn gray and no bleaching methods will help restore their pristine snow-white look.
Then the curtain needs to be soaked so that the dirt embedded in the fibers is soaked... Take a volumetric container, pour warm water and add salt to it at the rate of 120 g per 1 liter. Stir so that the grains are completely dissolved.
Tulle is immersed in the resulting solution and left for 2-3 hours. Then the product is thoroughly rinsed and washed.
How to do it correctly in an automatic washing machine: in what mode (program), at what temperature?
If the choice fell on washing tulle in an automatic machine, it is important to set the correct mode. It is permissible to do this only on a delicate or manual program at a temperature not exceeding 40 ° C.
For automatic washing of tulle, select appropriate detergents. It can be:
- traditional detergents for automatic washing with bleaching properties (used mainly for tulle made of cotton, organza, nylon);
- gel and powder formulations for baby clothes;
- shampoos for delicate products (suitable for silk, voile curtains).
To correctly determine the washing mode and detergent, study the label. On it, the manufacturer gives his recommendations for the care of the product.
Upon completion of the preparatory activities the curtain is placed in a special mesh bag (sold at hardware stores) or pillowcase and loaded into a drum... Pour detergent and a little oxygen bleach into the machine tray to make the fabric shine and soft.
If after the end of the cycle the result is not satisfactory, then you can again soak the curtains in saline, as was done before. Leave them on for an hour and then rinse thoroughly in clean water. This will add freshness to the product.
The only drawback of machine washing is the impossibility of returning the fabric to a snow-white state in this way.... Therefore, it will be required to additionally bleach it using appropriate means (industrial or improvised).
Manually at home
For tulle made from delicate and light fabrics, hand wash is optimal. The procedure algorithm is as follows:
- First of all, the tulle is wiped out from dust and soaked in warm water for several hours in order to remove heavy dirt and facilitate subsequent washing from yellowness and other stains. You can add ordinary powder or table salt to the water.
- After the allotted time, rinse the curtain under running cool water. It is unacceptable to use hot water, from which the fabric coarsens and subsequently quickly acquires a yellowish tint.
- Water is poured into a bathroom or a voluminous vat with a temperature of about 40 ° C. You can add apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon per 1 liter), and then add the selected detergent (washing powder for automatic washing machines, gel).
- Start washing the curtains. As soon as the water becomes dirty, change it to fresh and mix 2-3 drops of blue to get a solution with a light blue. The tulle is washed again in it.
- The final step will be rinsing in running water. They try to do this as carefully as possible so that not a trace of detergent remains in the fabric.
- They hang the tulle over the bathroom so that the main part of the water is glass, then they fix it while still wet on the cornice.
How to bleach very dirty and yellowed ones?
Tulle tends to turn yellow over time and become covered with soot (if hung in the kitchen). In this regard, organza and nylon curtains are especially capricious.
If the usual washing did not cope with this problem, then you have to use all kinds of stain removers and bleaches.... The main thing is to use them according to the instructions so as not to spoil the delicate product.
Chemical bleaching agents are best used when absolutely necessary. Especially those that contain chlorine. Oxygen is preferred. At first, it is recommended to use more gentle folk remedies.
Here are some productive recipes:
- In warm water (5 liters), dilute 100-120 g of edible salt. The tulle is immersed in the solution and left to soak overnight. The next day, wash in any way.
- Add 10 drops of brilliant green to 200 ml of cold water and mix. They wait 5 minutes and when a precipitate appears, the liquid is interfered again.
The resulting composition is poured into a container with water for rinsing the tulle after the main wash. Rinse in this water, and then in running water.
- A saturated solution of potassium permanganate is made in the amount of one glass.Pour it into a water tank. Then the tulle is moistened in clean water, rubbed with laundry soap and dipped in the previously prepared solution. After half an hour, the product is washed under the tap and washed by hand or in a typewriter.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide (2 tablespoons) and ammonia (1 tablespoon) are poured into hot water. This amount is enough for a five liter bucket. Tulle curtains are soaked in the resulting liquid for 25-30 minutes. After which they are rinsed, squeezed slightly and dried.
He will tell you how to wash tulle so that it is snow-white this article. Read about how to bleach tulle with salt, vinegar, soda and brilliant green here.
Features depending on the type of fabric
Depending on the type of material from which the tulle is sewn, certain washing rules are followed:
- Nylon and polyester... They can be washed even at 60 ° C in the usual mode, but without the use of bleaches. Iron at medium temperature, covered with a thin cotton cloth.
- Veil tulle, muslin and organza are washed on a delicate cycle at 30 ᵒС, having previously folded into a protective bag. It is impermissible to squeeze such products strongly with your hands - they are hung up and waiting for the excess water to drain. You cannot iron organza and muslin, but a veil is possible, but with a slight heating of the iron.
- Mixed materials (cotton with polyester) it is permissible to wash at 60 ᵒС. Then the product is easier to wash from yellowness and stubborn stains, even without pre-soaking. The product is ironed at a temperature of 130 to 150 ᵒС.
How to remove stains?
Stains of various origins that appear on the tulle should be removed before the main wash. Kitchen curtains often leave traces of grease, soot and various food products. If the tulle is not washed for a long time, then it absorbs grease from the air.
The following tools will help:
- Dishwashing gel... Apply it on the stain and after 1-2 hours wash the product in warm water, adding the same gel.
- Standard laundry detergent combined with dish gel... Mix these two components in equal amounts and dilute with warm water.
In such a solution, the tulle is soaked for a couple of hours and washed.
- Salt. Fatty dirt is covered with salt, and after 1-1.5 hours they are washed.
- Laundry soap... Half a bar of soap is grated and dissolved in 10 liters of slightly heated water. The tulle is immersed in the resulting liquid and kept for about an hour. Then they are washed in a typewriter or by hand.
- Baking soda... The stain is first moistened with freshly squeezed lemon juice, then sprinkled with a layer of soda. A violent hiss and foam reaction will immediately begin, and the stain will soon disappear.
Mold from net curtains can be easily removed with chalk powder. They sprinkle problem areas with it, cover it with a paper sheet and iron it with a warm iron.
Zelenka can be effectively removed from tulle curtains with ordinary laundry soap. The main thing is to start cleaning immediately, without postponing until later. You can also use the following tools:
- concentrated hydrogen peroxide - the contamination is treated, and it disappears within a few minutes;
- table vinegar - in a pure form, apply to the stain and expect it to disappear, after which the fabric is washed under running water;
- starch - moisten the damaged area, rub it with starch and wash off with clean water, repeat this several more times, then wash it in an automatic machine with any bleaching powder.
Only a spot of oil paint delivered can be removed without problems with turpentine, acetone or kerosene. To do this, dip a cotton pad in any of the compositions and blot the stain. Then the area is treated with ammonia.
How to dry?
In order not to iron the tulle later, you should dry it correctly.
After finishing washing and rinsing, the product is carefully folded in several layers and hung over the bathtub to drain off the remaining water. And only then they attach it to the curtain, where it will dry completely and straighten under its own weight.
Do not immediately hang damp curtains outdoors or on the balconydust will instantly settle on them and you can start washing again.
If the tulle is strongly wrinkled during the washing process, then you can iron it with a slightly heated iron that has a steaming function. Do not use a spray bottle as water droplets leave marks.
He will tell you how to smooth tulle with an iron this article.
General washing tips to keep the original whiteness tulle long time:
- before soaking, shake the tulle to remove dust;
- do not use chlorine-containing bleaching agents, which leads to rapid material wear;
- after washing, the product is not twisted, but allowed to drain naturally;
- the optimal temperature limit for washing light tulle is 35-40 ᵒС, otherwise it will shrink.
Washing methods like these will help prolong the life of the tulle and maintain its original whiteness. If the product has turned gray, then it is hardly possible to restore it. You can try to fix the situation with blue, but it is better to update the curtains.