A backpack is a convenient and practical product. It is used in everyday life, travel with it, go to educational institutions, to sports training.
In the process of active use, the accessory will inevitably get dirty. To keep it clean, you need to know the important rules of washing.
Is it possible and how to wash a backpack in an automatic washing machine and by hand, how to clean a satchel from dirt that cannot be washed? You will find answers to these and other questions in the article.
- Is it washable?
- How is it right in a washing machine, on what mode?
- Hand wash
- How to clean a satchel that cannot be wetted from dirt?
- Features for products of different types
- How to remove stubborn stains?
- How to get rid of the smell?
- Drying features
- Important recommendations
Is it washable?
Every backpack should be cleaned from time to time. To understand how to properly care for your product, you need to refer to the manufacturer's recommendations.
They are encrypted in the form of icons that are presented on the product label. Most often it is inside.
It is not recommended to machine wash backpacks made of delicate fabrics. Other contraindications include:
- The presence of a large number of stripes and reflective details.
- The presence of a rigid fixed frame or USB port.
- The presence of a photo print.
- The presence of obvious defects, broken fittings, loose seams.
Do not wash bags impregnated with a water-repellent compound or other coating that changes its characteristics when in contact with liquid.
How is it right in a washing machine, on what mode?
Before loading your backpack into the washing machine, you need to prepare it. This stage includes the following activities:
- Remove all items from the product, check pockets and sections. Small things left inside can damage both the backpack and the washing machine.
- Remove dust. To do this, wipe the surface of the product with a damp cloth, or a brush with soft bristles soaked in water.
- Clean the seams. They accumulate a lot of dust and small debris. If you cannot remove the dirt with a rag, you can use a vacuum cleaner.
- Remove decorative elements from the backpack, for example, key chains.
The spin should be turned off, or reduced to the minimum speed... The optimum washing temperature is 30-40 degrees.
After completing it, you can turn on an additional rinse. This removes any remaining detergent. Its particles are poorly washed out from dense fabrics.
Therefore, preference should be given to liquid formulations such as gel capsules. They effectively remove dirt, even at low temperatures.
Washing instructions a backpack in an automatic machine:
- The prepared item is placed in a mesh bag. Such devices are used to wash things to protect them from rubbing against the drum of the washing machine.
Even if any element comes off the backpack during cleaning, it will remain inside the bag and will not damage household appliances. If there is no mesh, you can replace it with an old pillowcase.
- Pour the selected detergent into the compartment of the washing machine.
- Turn on the washing mode and wait for it to complete.
- The product is removed from the drum and left to dry naturally.
Even the most durable looking garments can deteriorate if washed on an intensive cycle.
Hand wash allows you to gently clean the fabric without damaging the main elements of the backpack.
- Remove all things from the bag, turn out and empty out the pockets, vacuum the seams, cut off the protruding threads.
- Rinse the backpack under cool running water to remove any dust that has settled on it.
- Prepare detergent solution. You can use hand wash powder, gels, or regular soap. The main thing is that the particles of the detergent are completely dissolved in the water.
- Apply the composition to the product with a sponge, distribute it evenly over the entire surface, leave for 15 minutes. If the stains are difficult to remove, then the backpack is completely immersed in water.
- Rub the soiled areas gently with a soft cloth or sponge.
- Rinse the product under running water. Let it drain, do not twist or wring out the backpack.
- Dry it naturally.
If there is a rigid frame inside the product, then it must be removed.
How to clean a satchel that cannot be wetted from dirt?
Dry cleaning involves avoiding the use of water. Such processing is used for products made of suede, vinyl, wool, oxford fabric, bags with a non-removable frame or with a water-repellent impregnation.
You can remove dirt as follows:
- Vacuum the backpack outside and inside. This will get rid of the dust.
- Use starch. They are sprinkled with greasy spots, lightly crushed and left for 2-3 hours. The backpack is then vacuumed or the powder removed with a soft brush.
- Using special brushes. There are devices on sale that allow you to clean suede or nubuck backpacks without water.
- The use of soda and salt. These components are mixed in equal proportions, applied to the item and left for 1-2 hours. The fabric is then either vacuumed or brushed. This method allows you to get rid of dust, grease stains and unpleasant odors.
Features for products of different types
Some branded backpacks require special washing conditions. There are also rules for processing products with USB, with an orthopedic back. There are certain features of caring for leather and suede backpacks.
Manufacturers of Beckmann backpacks do not recommend automatic washing. However, most users load models into the machine, as it will be difficult to manually remove the dirt.
- Remove the hard metal insert from the product. The plastic parts are not removable and are therefore left inside.
Be sure to unscrew the light bulb with batteries, they are attached with double-sided tape, so they can be easily removed. It makes no sense to twist the raincoat and Velcro decorations in the typewriter, so they are unfastened before washing.
- They set the program "gentle" or "delicate" washing with a temperature regime of 30 degrees on the machine. The spin is turned off.
- To prevent the backpack from hitting the drum walls, a terry towel is loaded with it. You can protect your print with a mesh laundry bag or an old pillowcase.
- Gel or liquid concentrate is used as a detergent.
- After the completion of the cycle, the product is dried in natural conditions.
With USB cable
If the backpack is equipped with a USB port or headphones, then you can wash it only after disconnecting them. Most often, such devices are removable, so there are no problems with caring for the product.
The bag with the USB cable is washed in the same way as other similar products... The type of fabric and the general recommendations of the manufacturer must be taken into account. The method of cleaning will depend on this: manual, machine or dry.
If the USB is not removable, then it is strictly forbidden to wet such backpacks. Contact with water will damage the device.
Branded Swiss backpacks Swissgear are washed both by hand and automatically.
The exceptions are products equipped with a rigid non-removable frame and impregnated with a water-repellent composition. They are not loaded into the drum of the washing machine.
To remove dirt from them, use a soap solution, in which a sponge is moistened and stains are carefully removed. You can also vacuum the product to remove dust.
If machine washable, use only liquid detergents. The water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees. The spin is turned off.
After washing, the product is not wrung out or twistedleaving it to dry naturally.
The leather backpack is protected from prolonged contact with water and from machine wash. It is forbidden to machine wash it. Only dry or wet cleaning is suitable for the care of the accessory.
Use a damp soft cloth to remove dust from the skin. To deal with stubborn stains, use a weak alcohol solution or soapy water.
Learn more about washing leather backpacks here.
The original Kanken backpack is sewn of a unique fabric - vinyl, so it cannot be machine washed. This will damage the product, create creases and discolored spots.
Bags from this company require gentle care... Kanken backpacks are hand crafted to avoid excessive friction.
As a detergent, sparing formulations are used that contain a minimum amount of chemical components, for example, “Eared Nanny” dish gel.
In the presence of severe contamination, the product is soaked in a weak soap solution for 15 minutes. Then the backpack is rinsed under running cool water.
More information on handling this type of backpack here.
For information on how to care for your schoolbag, see the product label.... If the manufacturer allows machine washing, then it should be carried out according to the general recommendations. A hard back is removed from the product, all things are removed.
To remove single stains, you can process the school bag manually. Use soapy water and a brush, or a professional stain remover. Be sure to take into account the type of fabric and the color of the product.
Learn more about washing your school backpack. here.
A suede backpack can only be washed by hand. Contact with water should be minimal. If possible, the product is dry cleaned with a special brush.
- prepare a soapy solution, it should be cool;
- apply the cleaning agent to the backpack with a sponge;
- leave for 5 minutes;
- remove with a clean damp cloth;
- dry the product in natural conditions.
Do not rub the suede backpack with a stiff-bristled brush or use aggressive detergents. Caring for him should be as careful as possible.
With orthopedic back
The orthopedic back is removed from the backpack before washing. If it is not removable, then you should not load such a product into the washing machine.
You need to pay attention to the material from which the rigid frame is made:
- The metal back is removed, or machine wash is refused.
- The plastic inserts can be left on, but the product must be washed in a bag using a counterweight. To do this, a terry towel or sheet is loaded into the drum.
- Foam orthopedic backs tolerate both hand and machine wash.
- Cardboard backs do not tolerate contact with water, so such backpacks are subjected to either dry or surface wet cleaning.
How to remove stubborn stains?
Stubborn stains often appear on backpacks that require special treatment. These include ballpoint pen ink, gum and more.
Children stain their portfolios with watercolors. Dealing with such contamination is easy if you use the right product.
You can remove ink stains with alcohol:
- soak a cotton pad in vodka and apply it to the problem area;
- leave the product to act for 5 minutes;
- blot the stain with a new disc, moving from the edge to the center;
- continue to erase the ink until it disappears completely.
After removing the dirt, rinse the cloth under running water.
You can remove the stain from the paint using ammonia. It is used in a diluted form:
- A tablespoon of alcohol is taken in a 250 ml glass of water.
- A cotton pad is moistened in the solution and the stain is treated with it. Leave the product for 2-3 hours, periodically changing the compress.
- After the specified time, the stain is wiped with a clean disc, the treated area is washed off using a soap solution.
Greasy stains can be removed dry:
- Starch, talcum powder, or baby powder... Powder is poured over the dirt, pressed, left for 2-3 hours, and then removed with a brush or vacuum cleaner.
- Salt and soda... They are applied to the stain, rubbed with fingertips, left for 2 hours, and then removed with a paper napkin.
- Mustard powder... It can be diluted to a state of gruel, which is applied to the stain and left to dry completely. Then the mustard is peeled off and the cloth is wiped with a damp cloth.
If it was not possible to cope with the oily stain with powders, then you can apply dishwashing detergent to it and wash it in warm water.
You can remove the gum by freezing. Instructions for use:
- place the backpack in a plastic bag so that it does not absorb the smell of the refrigerator;
- put it in the freezer for 4 hours;
- remove the product from the freezer, scrape off the gum using a hard object such as a file or the blunt side of a knife.
How to get rid of the smell?
The easiest way to get rid of the smell is to wash your backpack. If the product cannot be wetted, then they resort to the following method:
- Pour soda into fabric bags, fix them so that the powder does not spill out. Likewise, you can use activated charcoal tablets or salt.
- Place them in a backpack and leave for 4-5 days.
- During this time, the soda will absorb all odors.
You can use shoe deodorant by applying it to the inside of the garment. The "Dividik" agent neutralizes odors well. It is sold in departments with household chemicals. The price of a bottle is about 150 rubles.
Dry your backpack properly. General recommendations to follow:
- Do not wring out products made of delicate fabrics or with a rigid frame. If the bag is completely fabric, then it is wrapped in a terry towel and gently pressed so that it absorbs excess water.
- Do not expose the fabric to direct sunlight.
- The product is not hung on heating devices, near heat sources.
- Depending on the weather conditions, the backpack is dried either in a heated room with a normal humidity level, or on the balcony.
- Do not suspend the product; ugly creases may appear on it. It is better to put the backpack on a flat surface, having previously spread a terry towel or other fabric on it.
Do not store the accessory immediately after drying. It is kept outdoors for several days. If the product is wrapped in polyethylene or placed in a closet, non-evaporated moisture can rot, leading to mold and unpleasant odors.
In order not to spoil the product during washing, the following rules for caring for it must be observed:
- You need to wash the product closed. This applies to zippers, rivets, Velcro and other fasteners.
- If the bag is being washed for the first time, then the selected detergent must be tested on an inconspicuous area of the fabric, tracking its reaction.
- For washing, it is recommended to choose the simplest detergents with a minimum content of dyes, fragrances and other aggressive components.
- White backpacks can be soaked with bleach. It is not used for dark and black fabrics.
You need to start removing stains as early as possible. Old dirt is more difficult to deal with.
Keeping your backpack clean isn't difficult. It must be washed according to the recommendations given by the manufacturer.
It is also necessary to take into account the type of fabric, color of the product, the presence of removable and non-removable fittings, orthopedic back... Observing the rules of caring for the product, it will be possible to extend its service life for many years.