A blanket keeps a sleeping person warm on cold nights, but a comfortable and healthy sleep is only possible if it is clean and fresh.
Dirty and unpleasant-smelling bedding may not feel good.
Read about how to wash a blanket in an automatic washing machine and by hand, whether you need to wash a new one after purchase, what detergents to choose and how to properly care for products from different types of fabrics, read the article.
- Is it washable?
- The best remedies
- Preparation for the procedure
- How to wash in an automatic washing machine: at what mode, temperature?
- Hand wash
- Features for different materials
- Baby blanket
- Do I need to cleanse the new?
- How to handle a large product?
- Helpful hints
Is it washable?
The blanket can be washed by hand or machine. The choice of how to care for it depends on a number of factors.
Machine wash is not allowed in the following cases:
- The bedding is sewn of fabric that cannot be processed automatically. For example, sheep or camel wool is not loaded into the drum.
- The blanket is too big. When wet, its weight increases, which can lead to equipment breakdown.
- The product is old, its upholstery is thinner or has some damage. In the process of machine washing, the item can completely deteriorate.
To understand whether it is possible to wash a blanket in a typewriter, you need to familiarize yourself with the information that the manufacturer indicates on the label. You should not violate his recommendations.
Signs allowing and prohibiting processing
You can understand whether the blanket can be machine washed by examining the icons indicated on the product tag. Sometimes, care instructions can be found on the packaging. Therefore, you should not rush to throw it away.
Explanation of the main designations:
- Hand Wash Only - Bowl icon with your hand in it.
- Any washing is prohibited - crossed out water basin icon.
- White circle - dry clean or dry clean.
- Washing machine icon - automatic washing and spinning is possible.
- Crossed out washing machine icon - automatic drying and spinning is prohibited, but washing is possible.
The numbers inside the icons indicate the maximum washing temperature of the product.
If the item is of high quality, and the manufacturer cares about its reputation, then in addition to the icons, on the label you can see text that concretizes the information encoded in the form of icons.
The best remedies
For the product to wash well, you need to use the correct detergent.... One recommendation is to choose a liquid powder or gel.
This form of release is good in that the composition dissolves quickly, copes better with dirt, activates in cool water and rinses out well.
Loose powders are not prohibited for use, but in this case, you will have to rinse the thing at least 2-3 times.
Most liquid concentrates are versatile, that is, they are suitable for the care of ordinary and delicate fabrics, including natural wool and silk.
Be sure to pay attention to the composition. It should not contain aggressive components such as chlorine bleach or acids.
The range of liquid detergents is varied. When choosing, you need to focus on their price and features of use:
- Washing gel "Weasel wool and silk"... This product is suitable for the care of synthetic and natural fiber blankets. It starts working at a temperature of 30 degrees. The harder the water, the more detergent consumption. For 1 liter of gel, you will need to pay about 250 rubles.
- Synergetic universal washing gel... The concentrate can be used to care for any items: cotton, synthetics, silk and natural wool. It is suitable for hand and machine wash, does not contain aggressive components, is economically dosed, it is used for the care of baby bedding. The cost of 1 liter of gel is about 210 rubles.
- Persil washing gel fresh from Vernel... It contains a stain remover, so it is suitable for washing light and white fabrics. The cost of a package with a volume of 1.95 liters is about 450 rubles.
Preparation for the procedure
Before you start washing, you need to properly prepare your bedding.
It is recommended to do the following:
- Remove the item from the duvet cover.
- Eliminate all existing defects on the product. If it has loose seams or holes, they need to be sewn up.
- Remove dust from the blanket. It can be knocked out, shaken out or vacuumed.
- Wash tough stains in advance. For this use laundry soap, which is foamed and applied locally to the contaminated area.
- Fold the blanket properly. It is folded several times, rolled into a roll and placed in the drum of the washing machine around the perimeter.
How to wash in an automatic washing machine: at what mode, temperature?
When starting a machine wash, you need to take into account the peculiarities of caring for a particular product. The unified instructions for use assumes the following steps:
- Place the prepared product in the washing machine.
- Pour liquid detergent into the compartment.
- Adjust the washing parameters. The maximum water temperature depends on the material from which the blanket is made; most often, this figure should not exceed 40-60 degrees. In the case of delicate fabrics and fillers (bamboo, wool, silk), the limit is 30 degrees.
- If spinning is allowed, then it is better to set the speed to 600-700 rpm.
- When washing with powder detergents, be sure to turn on the "additional rinse" function.
- Start washing, wait for it to complete.
Do not leave a wet blanket in the drum of the washing machine after the end of the cycle.The longer it is in a crumpled state, the higher the likelihood that the filler will break.
Washing the blanket by hand is difficult, but this is the most gentle treatment. Features of the procedure:
- Wash difficult stains separately. To do this, use laundry soap.
- Fill the bathtub with warm, but not hot water (no higher than 40 degrees).
- Dissolve the detergent in it.
- Immerse the blanket in water, leave for 1-2 hours. With a frequency of 15-20 minutes, you need to approach it and heat it with your hands. You can turn the thing over and wrinkle it slightly.
- Drain off dirty water.
- Rinse the product until no more foam is washed off.
- Do not twist or wrinkle the thing, leave it in the bathroom until the bulk of the water has drained off.
- Gently wring out the fabric with your hands and send to dry.
Features for different materials
Depending on the type of fabric from which the blanket is sewn, the particulars of product care will differ. This factor affects all parameters:
- on the washing temperature,
- spin speed,
- choice of detergent.
Silk products extremely picky about leaving. Therefore, whenever possible, they are given to dry cleaning.
At home you can resort to machine or hand wash, taking into account the following recommendations:
- the water temperature is not higher than 30 degrees;
- detergent - only liquid;
- avoiding bleach and stain removers;
- spinning is not recommended (both manual and automatic).
The more carefully you handle silk fabric, the longer it will serve its owner.
Holofiber is a synthetic fiber that is easy to maintain. It can be washed both by hand and in the machine.
- water temperature - no higher than 60 degrees;
- spin speed - up to 500 rpm;
- detergent - liquid.
The bike blanket can be machine washed and hand washed. If there is a woolen thread in the composition, then only liquid detergents can be used. Stubborn stains can be removed with laundry soap.
Bike bedding is often used in cribs, so detergents for washing should not contain aggressive components, fragrances and high concentration of surfactants... The maximum water temperature is 40 degrees.
Read more about how to take care of your bike blanket. here.
A cotton blanket is very heavy, and when it gets wet, its weight increases by 5 times. However, it needs regular maintenance, as the filler quickly absorbs odors, dust and other impurities.
If the product is small, then you can limit yourself to hand washing, using only liquid detergent... The water temperature should not exceed 40 degrees.
Read more about how to care for a cotton blanket. here.
A bamboo blanket, with proper care, retains its shape for a long time and does not wrinkle. Erase it only with liquid powder.
Machine wash is not prohibited, but the water temperature should not exceed 40 degrees... Bamboo fiber is not afraid of high spin speeds (up to 800 rpm).
However, it is not recommended to keep such a product in water for too long. Therefore, the total washing time should not exceed 60-80 minutes.
Read more about how to care for a bamboo blanket. here.
The duvet can be machine washed and hand washed. To care for it, use only liquid detergent.... It is recommended to reduce its amount by 2 times to avoid heavy foaming.
The rest of the time, it should not exceed 30 degrees. Be sure to turn on the extra rinse function.
Read more about how to care for your duvet. here.
The synthetic winterizer blanket is light and warm. It is unpretentious in care, it can be machine washed and by hand. The main condition is not to exceed the water temperature of 40 degrees.
Sintepon products are afraid of aggressive detergents in the form of chlorine. Stubborn stains can be removed with laundry soap. To improve the quality of hand washing, use a soft bristled brush.
The product can be wrung out at high speeds (up to 800 rpm)... Prolonged soaking is acceptable.
Read more about how to care for a padding polyester blanket here.
The woolen blanket is lightweight, environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic, but its significant disadvantage is high maintenance requirements. It is not recommended to wash it in a typewriter.
If this procedure cannot be avoided, then you need to select the appropriate program ("Wool", "Delicate wash")... If you are not sure that the procedure will take place without harm to the product, it is better to use dry cleaning services.
Read how to wash a woolen blanket here.
Manufacturers of camel wool products recommend that you do not machine wash. It is cared for manually.
The detergent must be liquid... On sale there are specialized formulations designed specifically for woolen fabrics.
Soaking should not exceed 30 minutes, and the total washing time of the product is 1 hour. It is necessary to thoroughly rinse the item so that there are no gel particles left in it, which will destroy the natural fiber.
Read more about how to care for a camel hair blanket here.
When caring for a lambswool blanket you need to take into account the peculiarities of its manufacture.
The water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees. Do not automatically spin bedding or twist it by hand.
Read about how to wash a lambswool blanket here.
Wash the baby blanket it is necessary taking into account the following recommendations:
- Care should be regular (at least once every 1-1.5 months). It is carried out as needed.
- You need to use only specialized detergents, for example, "Eared Nanny" washing gel.
- Laundry soap is used to remove local contamination. The use of aggressive components is unacceptable.
- After washing, the thing must be ironed, if the manufacturer does not prohibit it.
To soften the fabric, you can use a hypoallergenic fabric softener such as Lenor Children's.
Do I need to cleanse the new?
A new blanket should be washed immediately after purchase. It is not recommended to use it without preliminary processing... Until the moment the thing gets to its owner, it passes through many hands.
The first wash allows you to get rid of the accumulation of dust and bacteria, remove excess dyes, and get rid of chemical odors. It is not necessary to use detergents.
How to handle a large product?
Washing a large blanket in a typewriter is problematic. The drum loading must be at least 6-8 kg. Otherwise, the thing simply does not stretch, and the remaining detergent will destroy the fibers of the fabric. therefore oversized bedding is most often given to dry cleaning.
Hand wash is only feasible in the bathroom. However, it will take a long time to rinse such a product, changing the water 5-7 times. To squeeze and send it to dry, you need the help of household members. It's hard to cope alone.
You need to wash the blanket as soon as it gets dirty. If the stains are minor, then local cleaning is sufficient.
General recommendations for the frequency of washing:
- wool products - once every 6 months;
- synthetic and cotton blankets - once a year;
- down products - once every 4-6 months.
The duvet cover must be processed at least once every 7-10 days. Otherwise, the blanket itself will quickly get dirty. You need to knock out dust from it once a week, with each change of the cover.
Dry the blanket outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.
- You can only hang blankets without filler.
- Wadded or downy items are dried on a flat surface. Shake them periodically.
- Do not try to speed up the drying process with heaters or heaters.
Care Tips behind the blanket:
- Several tennis balls can be placed in the washing machine drum to prevent the filler from clumping.
- Bleach should only be used to wash a white blanket, provided it is not prohibited by the manufacturer.
- You can use fabric softener to improve the quality of your wash.
- To get rid of dust, the blanket should be vacuumed once a month.
For information on how to wash other bedding, read here.
Washing a blanket requires some knowledge. First of all, you need to consider the type of material from which it is made.
General recommendations that must be followed:
- wash in cool water,
- spin at minimum speed,
- use of liquid detergents.
With the right approach, the product will serve its owner for at least 3-5 years.