Most women have at least 2-3 dresses in their wardrobe. They are sewn from different materials, each of which needs proper care.
Ignorance of the basic "laws" of washing can cause irreparable damage to things. To prevent this from happening, you need to take into account a number of important points.
How to wash a dress (linen, velvet, silk, satin, suede, etc.) in a machine and with your hands, how to make sure that the thing does not fade, we will tell in the article.
- How to prepare for washing?
- How to machine wash and hand wash at home?
- How to dry?
- When do you need to contact the dry cleaner?
- What if the item has sat down?
- Important Tips
- Related Videos
How to prepare for washing?
Before you start washing your dress, you need to find a label on it and familiarize yourself with the recommendations for caring for the product. Important information is encoded on the tag in the form of signs. It concerns the temperature regime, the possibility of washing in the machine, and the peculiarities of ironing.
It must be remembered that it is strictly forbidden to subject products to automatic processing that are sewn from the following fabrics:
- suede leather;
- natural silk.
Some products are completely contraindicated in contact with water.... In this case, they are either dry cleaned or handed over to professionals.
How to machine wash and hand wash at home?
So that after washing the dress does not change its original color and shape, this process must be approached responsibly.
Three factors must be taken into account:
- The type of matter.
- Product colors.
- The presence of decorative elements.
In such situation it is better to use liquid detergents, as they are quickly washed out from the fibers of the fabric. If the contamination is complex, then pre-soaking in soapy water is recommended.
Velvet is a fabric with a split pile, the basis of which is made up of silk threads. A dress made of this material is distinguished by its unique elegance, it allows air to pass through well and quickly absorbs moisture. Its main disadvantages: the product collects dust, dries for a long time, and fade in the sun.
- washing in a typewriter is unacceptable;
- the safest way to get rid of dirt is dry cleaning or hand wash;
- restrictions on washing: water temperature - up to 30 degrees, manual spinning and ironing are prohibited;
- the product is not rubbed with a brush and hands;
- the optimal detergent is a washing gel.
- Dissolve the cleaning compound in cool water.
- Soak a velvet dress in it, turning it to the wrong side.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Remove existing dirt with a soft sponge.
- Rinse the product. To do this, you need to draw water into the basin and lower the thing into it, gently squeeze it several times, change the water. The procedure is repeated until the foam no longer forms.
Natural silk is represented by intertwined fibers of fibroin and sericin. A dress made of this fabric perfectly permeates air, absorbs moisture well, is not afraid of water.
- washing in a machine is possible, but only on a special program (“silk” mode);
- spinning must be turned off;
- the safest way to get rid of dirt is hand wash at 30 degrees;
- stubborn stains can be removed with alcohol or vinegar solution;
- restrictions when washing silk dresses: boiling, processing with alkaline compounds is prohibited;
- silk should not be dried in direct sunlight as the strength of the fiber suffers.
- Dilute liquid detergent in a basin.
- Soak the product for 20 minutes.
- Wash your dress. You can rub it with your hands, but not with a brush.
- Rinse the product, but do not wring it out.
- Let the water drain, send the thing to dry.
You can remove particularly stubborn dirt with table vinegar. It is applied to a cotton pad and gently wiped off the stains before washing. The procedure is repeated until all contamination disappears.
Black and white to avoid fading
If you wash a black and white dress according to the rules, then it will not shed or stain.
- Washing in a typewriter is not allowed. The product is processed only by hand, regardless of the type of fabric.
- Restrictions on washing black and white dresses: water temperature up to 30 degrees, spinning is prohibited.
- Preference should be given to liquid detergents. They should not contain bleaches (if the entire product is supposed to be washed).
- pour water into a basin, dissolve detergent in it;
- soak the product for 10-20 minutes;
- wipe off dirty areas by gently rubbing them with a brush or by hand;
- the more delicate the fabric, the less intense the impact should be;
- rinse the product and send it to dry.
If it is necessary to bleach a white collar or ruffles on a black dress, then wash them separately using an oxygen stain remover.
Pleated dress has many folds. So that they do not straighten out, you need to wash and dry it according to the rules.
- preference is given to hand washing using a nylon stocking;
- after removing the dirt, the dress is not wrung out;
- you can dry a pleated item only in an upright position.
- Dilute the detergent in water.
- Twist the dress into a tube, place it in a nylon stocking.
- Soak in soapy water for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse the garment and leave it hanging vertically in a stocking to dry. When the water drains, the nylon can be removed.
If there are stains on the dress, then they are cleaned in advance, before the main wash.
A satin dress consists of silk or semi-silk threads and has a shiny front surface.
- Hand wash is preferred.
- The water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees.
- Atlas is not rubbed with a brush or hands. Any dirt is removed with a cotton pad.
- Wash the dress by turning it to the wrong side.
- water is poured into the basin, a liquid detergent is dissolved in it;
- soak the dress in a foamy solution;
- after 30 minutes, the product is rinsed;
- when the water drains, the thing is sent to dry.
Stains can be removed with any alcohol composition, such as cologne or vodka.
Processing is carried out only from the seamy side, before the main wash... Alcohol is applied to a cotton pad and the contaminated area is wiped several times.
The dress with sequins is trimmed with small flat or shiny scales of various shapes. They are fastened with threads. Therefore, you need to wash such a product carefully.
- Machine wash is not recommended. If it is impossible to avoid it, then use a special mesh.
- Restrictions on washing a dress with sequins: the water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees, spinning is prohibited.
- Use only liquid detergents that will not remove the shine from the sequins.
- Contact with water is minimized.
- completely dissolve the detergent in cool water;
- soak the dress for 5 minutes;
- gently shake the product;
- rinse the item several times in clean water.
Leather dresses look very impressive, but require compliance with certain rules of care, including:
- Washing in a typewriter is not allowed. Dry cleaning is preferred. If this is not possible, the product is processed manually.
- Important restrictions: do not use hot water, do not rub with a brush, do not squeeze.
- For processing, only gels or liquid concentrates are used.
- collect water in a basin, dilute the detergent composition in it;
- soak the dress for 15 minutes;
- wipe the surface with a soft sponge;
- rinse the product, let the water drain.
Dry the item away from sunlight and heat sources, in a horizontal position.
Linen dress is not too picky about care. It is known that when wet, the fiber strength increases by 20%. This fact allows you to wash it in a typewriter without fear.
- any method of washing is suitable, but linen fibers should not be allowed to come into contact with alkalis;
- white things can be boiled;
- Any detergent is suitable, but the presence of chlorine is undesirable in their composition.
Algorithm of actions:
- Place the product in the laundry net if there are additional decorative elements on it that may come off.
- Pour powder into the washing machine compartment.
- Select the "cotton - gentle wash" program, or make the settings manually. Wring out the thing at a speed of up to 600 rpm. The temperature can be set to the maximum.
- After the end of the cycle, the thing is sent to dry, hanging it on a hanger.
At water temperatures above 60 degrees, flax fibers can shrink by 0.5 sizes.
Polyester dresses are durable, stain resistant and easy to remove. A certain amount of natural fibers is always added to the material.
- Any way of washing is acceptable.
- Restrictions: the water temperature should not exceed 40 degrees, it is not recommended to use bleach.
- To prevent the fabric from electrifying, a fabric softener is added to the detergent.
- Polyester clothes do not wrinkle, so after washing, it is enough to shake them off and dry them in a straightened state.
Algorithm of actions:
- place the product in the washing machine;
- pour the detergent into the compartment;
- select the "synthetics - gentle wash" program;
- you can carry out manual adjustment: water temperature 40 degrees, spinning - no more than 500 rpm;
- wait until the cycle is complete, send the item to dry.
The noodle dress is sewn of elastic jersey. It stretches well and fits the figure. It must be washed correctly so that it does not lose its original characteristics.
- The remaining yarn can be any: cotton, viscose, wool, acrylic, polyester, etc. Therefore, first you need to familiarize yourself with the information indicated on the label.
Wash the garment according to the recommendations for the particular fabric.
- If it is not known from what material the thing is sewn, they resort to universal instructions.
- The only recommendation is that the thing should not be twisted, so that it does not lose its shape and does not stretch.
Universal gentle wash instructions noodle dresses:
- collect water in a suitable container, its temperature should be no higher than 40 degrees;
- dilute washing powder in a basin until it is completely dissolved;
- soak the thing for half an hour;
- wash the existing stains by hand;
- rinse the product;
- without wringing out the dress, allow excess water to drain.
Dried "noodles" on a flat surface, do not hang on a hanger.
The viscose dress is sewn of artificial fibers, which are not very durable. When wet, this indicator becomes even lower (strength drops by 60%).
- preference is given to hand wash;
- do not rub and squeeze the thing;
- do not use home remedies to remove stains (ammonia, vinegar, soda);
- soften the water using fabric softener.
Algorithm of actions:
- Pour warm water into the basin (up to 35 degrees).
- Dissolve liquid detergent.
- Immerse the product in a soapy solution, gently wrinkle it to wash the accumulated dust from the fibers.
- Rinse the fabric under running water, drain and send the dress to dry.
Washing viscose clothes in a typewriter is contraindicated.
Suede is a delicate natural fabric that does not tolerate contact with water. It is recommended to remove dirt from the dress using a steam generator.
Algorithm of actions:
- hang the product by the hanger;
- treat contaminated areas with a steam generator;
- clean the thing with a special brush;
- dry the product without removing it from the hanger, fluff up the pile by ironing it with your palm in the opposite direction.
Velor is a wool or cotton fabric with a fleecy shiny surface. Dresses made from it look very impressive, but they require careful attitude towards themselves.
- high density of the fabric allows you to machine wash it;
- the thing does not shrink, does not stretch, so it can be wrung out, but at a low speed;
- it is recommended to refuse ironing.
Algorithm of actions:
- Turn the thing over to the wrong side.
- Switch on a suitable wash cycle (delicate, gentle, wool). The water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees, and the spinning should not exceed 500 revolutions.
- Pour liquid detergent into the powder compartment.
- Start a wash cycle.
- Remove the item from the drum, send it to dry.
It is not recommended to clean the wedding dress yourself, as the risk of ruining the product remains high. It is best to entrust the washing of an expensive product to professionals.
If it is not possible to go to dry cleaning, and the dress needs cleaning, then it is recommended to handle it manually.
The water should be cool - no more than 30 degrees. Use only liquid detergent for washing.
You need to rub the dirty areas with a soft sponge... This applies to both the corset and the hem. For stubborn stains, we recommend using a gentle bleach solution.
Learn more about how to gently wash your wedding dress and remove stains from it. this article.
A dress covered with sequins looks impressive, but so that it does not fade after washing, you need to familiarize yourself with some rules:
- Minimize contact with water and detergents.
- Do not rub or wring out the thing.
- Do not machine wash the product.
- Process the dress only from the wrong side.
- Do not exceed a temperature of 30 degrees.
Algorithm of actions:
- pour cool water into a basin;
- dilute a weak cleaning solution;
- soak the dress for 5 minutes, gently crushing it with your hands;
- rinse the item, wrap it in a terry towel and leave for 15 minutes;
- dry the product by hanging it on a hanger.
For a gentle wash, you can use baby shampoo.
How to dry?
Dry the dress after washing you need according to the following rules:
- The room should not be too humid, this delays the drying process.
- On the street, water evaporates faster, but it is important to protect the product from the effects of ultraviolet radiation.
- Items made from delicate fabrics are laid out on a flat surface. Coarser materials can be placed vertically by hanging them by their hangers.
- Do not dry your dress on a heating radiator.
Most often, the product is not wrung out after washing, the water is allowed to drain on its own. To speed up this process, you can wrap it in a terry towel. This will help the water absorb faster.
When do you need to contact the dry cleaner?
You need to contact dry cleaning if you cannot get rid of dirt at home... Most often, professionals are entrusted with valuable products, for example, wedding dresses, suede and genuine leather items.
Such organizations have been on the market for a long time, therefore they have many positive reviews. The cost of washing a dress depends on the complexity of the task. Prices start from 600 rubles and more.
What if the item has sat down?
If the dress is down you can stretch it in the following way:
- Soak the product for 20 minutes in a weak vinegar solution (for 10 liters of water, you need 3 tablespoons of vinegar 9%).
- After 15 minutes, remove it, squeeze it lightly and place it on a horizontal surface.
- Stretch the dress in the desired direction during the drying process.
This method allows you to increase the product by 1 size. Woolen items lend themselves best to stretching. Dresses made of cotton and linen react worse to the procedure.
A lot of useful information on how to stretch a dress that has shrunk after washing and how to prevent shrinkage in the future is presented in this article.
To wash the dress successfully, the following recommendations must be observed:
- turn the product to the wrong side before the upcoming cleaning;
- do not use products containing bleaching ingredients for black and colored clothes;
- preference should be given to liquid detergents;
- do not wash white and colored items together.
The video will tell you how to wash a dress made of various fabrics in a washing machine:
The dress should be washed as it gets dirty. An indispensable condition for careful maintenance is taking into account the type of material from which it is sewn.
Having decided on the composition of the fabric, you need to follow the existing instructions.This will keep the item clean and extend its useful life.