Jeans are a versatile item that is in the wardrobe of every person, regardless of gender and age. They are worn at any time of the year and for any event.
So that jeans do not lose their attractive appearance as long as possible, they need to be properly looked after.
There are many nuances of washing, which every owner of this universal thing should know.
How to properly wash jeans in an automatic washing machine (in what mode, at what temperature) so that they do not lose color, how often, do you need to turn them inside out, do you need to wash new pants after purchase? You will find answers to these and other questions in the article.
- How often to wash?
- How is it correct in a washing machine?
- Rules for light and dark products
- How do you prevent them from losing color?
- Do I need to wash new ones immediately after purchase?
- How to soften fabric if it becomes stiff?
- Drying features
- Do I need to iron?
- How to remove tough stains?
- Important recommendations
How often to wash?
Jeans should be washed as soon as they become dirty. To ensure that they retain their color saturation longer and do not rub off, occasional washings are recommended. When insignificant contamination appears, a specific area can be treated.
This is done for hygienic purposes. The accumulation of dirt in the fibers of the fabric can irritate the skin.
How is it correct in a washing machine?
The easiest and most affordable way to care for jeans is to wash them in an automatic machine. Before proceeding with the procedure, the pants need to be prepared:
- Check fittings. Zippers, clasps and buttons must be closed.
- Take all things out of pockets. Turn them out to remove dust and other small debris.
- Check the integrity of the seams. If they have a weak hold, this needs to be fixed.
- If you have a lot of jewelry (rhinestones, sequins, patches, beads, etc.), it is recommended to use a mesh bag for washing clothes.
After completing the preparatory activities, start washing. The algorithm of actions should be as follows:
- choose a suitable washing mode;
- place the product in the drum;
- start a wash cycle;
- remove jeans, dry them naturally.
To shorten the drying time of the garment, you can turn on the spin mode. The optimum speed is 600-800 rpm.
Do I need to turn it out?
Jeans must be turned inside out before washing.
There are several reasons for this:
- Color preservation. The less the outer surface of the pants will rub against the drum, the brighter and richer the jeans will be.
- Safety of zippers, fasteners and other accessories.
- Preservation of the shape of the product. In the inverted state, jeans are less deformed and shrink.
There is no need to turn the product over to the front side during drying. This will prevent dust and other contaminants from settling on it.
What mode (program)?
You can wash your jeans in one of the following modes:
- "Jeans". Most washing machines have a separate program for washing jeans. During their processing, a large amount of foam is released, due to which the intensity of friction of the product against the drum is reduced.
- "Handwash"... This program assumes gentle handling of things at minimum speeds.
- "Delicate" or "Sparing". The settings for these programs are different for different washing machine models. Therefore, before pressing the "start" button, you should make sure that the water temperature and the spin speed do not exceed the permissible values.
- Quick wash or Mini 30 mode... The program involves starting a short cycle to give things freshness. Its time can range from 15 minutes to half an hour. This option can be periodically used to wash jeans, as contact with water is short and the product will not shed much.
At what temperature?
Denim is made of cotton fibers. If you expose them to high temperatures, they will shrink. The hotter the water, the greater the shrinkage.
How many degrees should jeans be washed? In order not to become the owner of small pants that have shrunk by 1-2 sizes, you need to wash them at a temperature of 30-40 degrees. If you make it lower, you will not be able to get rid of stubborn dirt.
Also avoid significant fluctuations in water temperature when soaking... It must remain within the specified range.
Will tell about whether jeans shrink after washing and how to prevent it this article. How to stretch shrunken, you can find out herehow to seat stretched - here.
The best remedy
For washing jeans, you can use regular detergent with the inscription "automatic". However, it is better to give preference to liquid detergents.
There are several reasons for this:
- gels remove stains more effectively;
- they dissolve better in cool water;
- liquid concentrates rinse out faster from dense fabric.
What can you do together?
Wash jeans it is possible with other things, if they have a similar color and do not fade... It is important to consider the type of fabric and general recommendations for product care.
Black pants are washed with dark clothes, and light ones with light ones. It is important not only to sort things by color, but also not to overload the drum. It should be borne in mind that wet products weigh more.
For more information on what you can wash jeans with and what to do it with, read here.
Hand washing jeans is laborious, but gentle.
Step-by-step algorithm of actions:
- Prepare pants: remove all things and small debris from the pockets, fasten zippers and buttons, turn the thing to the wrong side.
- Fill a tub or large basin with warm but not hot water and dissolve the detergent in it. It should not be poured onto pants and then rubbed with a brush.
- Submerge jeans in water without crushing or crushing them.
- If the pants have complex dirt, they are soaked for 30-40 minutes.
- Stains can be additionally rubbed with a soft brush. The soap is applied to the bristles, not to the pants.
- After washing, the water is drained and the jeans are rinsed thoroughly.
- When the water drains, the pants are hung up to dry.
Do not twist jeans. Excess water can be removed with a terry towel by wrapping the product in it and wrinkling it with your hands.
When washing dark jeans, the water will stain intensely. This is a variant of the norm and will not affect the final color of the pants. Read about the rules for washing jeans by hand in this article.
Rules for light and dark products
Features of washing white products:
- You can use products containing a whitening component.
- Pants can be washed at temperatures up to 60 degrees if urgently needed.
- Hand wash requires a thorough workout and rinsing of the seams. If this is not done, gray or yellow streaks will remain on the pants.
Features of washing dark:
- do not use compositions containing bleaching granules for washing;
- to preserve color, you can use washing powder for black fabrics;
- the maximum washing temperature is 30 degrees.
White and dark jeans should be washed separately - this is the most important rule that should not be broken. How to wash black jeans can be found in this articles.
How do you prevent them from losing color?
To avoid color loss, you need to adhere to the following recommendations:
- wash the product as rarely as possible;
- minimize contact with water;
- after the first wash, rinse jeans in vinegar water (3 tablespoons per 10 liters);
- use a liquid detergent;
- do not use aggressive compounds containing chlorine or acids.
Do I need to wash new ones immediately after purchase?
There are several arguments for and against washing your jeans after purchase.
The main argument "for" is that new pants are always dyed and sometimes quite strong... This applies not only to cheap, but also to expensive branded items.
A light wash without the use of detergents will wash away excess pigment and prevent it from spreading to the skin of the feet or other things.
Also, with the first wash, it will be possible to get rid of the unpleasant odor that may be present on the new product. Jeans are washed after purchase for hygienic reasons. It is possible that other people tried them on before purchasing the pants.
The main argument against washing is the fact that the color of the product may become less saturated... To avoid this problem and fix the dye, it is recommended to add vinegar 9% (3 tablespoons to 10 liters of water) to the water.
Sometimes they refuse to wash because they want to put on a new thing as soon as possible. However, hygiene rules should not be neglected. Moreover, the washing and drying process will take no more than 10-12 hours.
How to soften fabric if it becomes stiff?
If the jeans become stiff after washing, you can fix this by following these tips:
- Twist the pants and beat them against the corner of the table.
- Wrap the jeans in a bag and roll them with a rolling pin.
- Put your pants on yourself, moisten them with a spray bottle and go about your business. The damp cloth will soften as you wear it.
- Wash the garment again using fabric softener. If not, you can use a hair rinse.
- Steam the jeans with a steam generator.
The balls add extra friction to the fabric, which can lead to rapid wear. Although jeans after such a wash do become softer.
There are several nuances to watch out for when drying. jeans:
- Hang them upside down.
- The product should be fixed by the belt. This position will avoid deformation of the fabric and dry out the pockets faster.
- Avoid drying jeans near heat sources such as a radiator. This will cause them to shrink.
For the same reason, jeans are not blown dry.
- Pants are not hung in direct sunlight. Ultraviolet light contributes to their fading. White fabric may turn yellow.
How long do jeans usually dry? If they were washed in a washing machine with a spin, then the water will completely evaporate in 3-4 hours. After hand washing, this process can take 1-2 days.
It is best to dry pants naturally, in a room with low humidity. Learn how to dry your jeans after washing here.
Do I need to iron?
If you hang wet jeans by the belt, then under their own weight they straighten out on their own. This eliminates the need for ironing.
When it is still needed, for example, in order to soften things, adhere to the following recommendations:
- Do not iron dry fabric. The pants should remain slightly damp. If time is lost, then they can be moistened using a spray bottle.
- You can iron the product only from the wrong side.
- It is recommended to set the temperature on the iron at 150 degrees. The thinner the fabric, the lower it should be.
- So that there are no traces of pockets on the leg, you need to put a handkerchief in it. First, the seams and the back are ironed, then the pockets and the front of the product.
Read how to iron jeans here.
How to remove tough stains?
If the jeans got paint or other dirt that could not be removed in the usual way, you need to resort to the help of special products. The method of their use is indicated in the table:
|Spot type||Effective remedy||Mode of application|
|Wine||Hydrogen peroxide||Prepare a solution: 2 tablespoons of peroxide in 200 ml of water. Moisten a cotton pad in it and gently process the fabric until the spot disappears completely.|
|Paint||Turpentine||The product is applied to a cotton swab in its pure form. Apply cotton wool to the contaminated area, leave for 15 minutes. Wipe the fabric with a clean swab.|
|Zelenka||Ammonia||Alcohol is applied to jeans in pure form. Leave the composition for 15 minutes. Wipe the stain with a cotton swab until it disappears completely. Additionally, wash the contaminated area with laundry soap.|
|Blood||A solution of salt, soda and vinegar||Salt is mixed with soda, the stain is covered with this powder. After five minutes, 9% vinegar is applied to it. The mixture is left until the reaction is complete. Washed jeans in cool water.|
Do not soak the bloody stains in hot water, this will cause the protein to fold. It will be difficult to get rid of such pollution.
|Iodine||Milk||Milk is applied to the stain. Leave for 15 minutes. Wash the stain with laundry soap and a soft brush.|
Learn how to remove grass stains from jeans. here... Read about removing greasy stains from denim. here.
To wash your jeans as efficiently as possible, you need to use the following recommendations:
- Do not ignore the advice of the manufacturer. They are indicated on the product label. It is always on the wrong side of the jeans.
- Do not actively rub the dirt on the jeans. This will lead to staining.
The fibers of the fabric will become villous, which will affect the appearance of the product.
- The powder must be dosed strictly. Its excess will remain in the fibers of the fabric, which will require additional rinsing.
If, during drying, creases in the form of white stripes appear on the pants, then they need to be moistened with water and wait until they dry again.
Jeans need washing. So that it does not cause the loss of their attractive appearance, it is necessary to resort to it only as needed. By observing the basic rules of jeans care, you can significantly extend their life.