Preserving the harvest of carrots requires the creation of suitable conditions for this, and adherence to certain rules.
Depending on the organization of storage, carrots can be stored for a long time - until the next harvest.
Read about how to properly store carrots until spring, how best to organize storage of vegetables for the winter, read the article.
- How to organize storage correctly?
- Preparation rules
- The ways
- What's the best way to keep fresh at home?
- Peeled vegetable
- Boiled root vegetable
- Natural carrot juice
- In korean
- How much is stored?
- Why does it wither, blacken, rot?
- Good and bad neighbors
How to organize storage correctly?
Carrots are among those vegetable crops that are resistant to cold, and are able to maintain useful qualities and an attractive appearance even with low frosts.
The storage time of the harvested crop depends on several factors:
- selection of a variety suitable for long-term storage;
- selection of ripe vegetables;
- preparation of harvested root crops;
- temperature air - from 0 ° C to + 2 ° C;
- humidity - 90-95%;
- absence of apples in the storage in the immediate vicinity;
- protection from light.
Proper storage also includes minimizing the chance of damage to carrots.
Preparation for harvesting vegetables begins with harvesting... This applies to almost all options for preserving a vegetable in the winter. An exception is the method according to which vegetables are left right in the garden.
Read more about the preparation stages here, about the timing of the harvest - here.
Late-ripening varieties of carrots are chosen for storage. It is desirable that they are intended for a specific region. The collected carrots are carefully peeled from the ground, dried and sorted.
If the collection was carried out too early, the beneficial substances did not have time to accumulate in the tubers, if it is too late, then there may even be an excess of sugars... And this, in turn, often leads to damage by pests and rodents.
You will find the best varieties of carrots for long-term storage here.
Before laying, the tops are cut from each vegetable... They do not leave it, since the greens that are already unnecessary will pull on useful substances.
In order for the vegetable not to germinate during the laying process, gardeners cut off about 1 cm from the top of the fruit. Pruning carrots is necessary in order to preserve nutrients in root crops.
Whether or not to wash a vegetable before harvesting is a controversial issue even among experienced gardeners. You need to proceed from the following circumstances:
- the volume of harvested root crops;
- availability of time and energy for the laborious washing process;
- availability of space for drying wet vegetables (for example, an awning);
- the ability to use a large amount of water.
A washed vegetable requires compliance with certain nuances while preserving in the winter, which are not always possible to realize.
Do I need to wash carrots before storing them, she will tell this an article on how to properly cut a vegetable - this.
When choosing a storage method, you need to take care of the storage arrangement in advance... For a private house, the best option is a cellar. For an apartment, such a place can be a pantry, a balcony or a refrigerator.
The choice of the best storage method should take into account the conditions in the room and what additional attributes are available (boxes, sand, peat, sawdust, etc.)
Can it be stored in sand?
Storing a stock of vegetables in the sand is a simple in essence and not difficult to organize way. It can be used in containers and in bulk storage.
In all cases, slightly damp sand serves as a "pillow" on which a layer of root crops is laid, and a separator between subsequent layers. The final top layer is sand.
The required level of moisture is achieved very simply: for each bucket of sand, 1 liter of water is used. It is advisable to use boxes that are not too large, but those that fit no more than 20 kg of vegetables.
Read about storing carrots in the sand here.
In plastic bags
Plastic bags allow you to compactly organize the storage of vegetables. The carrots folded in them are placed in a cool place. It is not necessary to tie the bags themselves, as air access and the removal of carbon dioxide emitted by carrots must be ensured.
If the bags are tied, then a sufficient number of holes must be made over their entire area.... It is advisable to choose small in size, which fit from 5 to 30 kg of vegetables.
The compliance of bags with all conditions is determined by whether condensation forms on the polyethylene from the inside or not. If water comes out, this is a signal that the humidity is high. In this case, fluff lime will help to solve the problem. It is poured near the bags and the humidity level is restored.
If the bags are not used new, but left over from last year's harvest, they must be washed in advance and thoroughly dried, turning them to the wrong side for this. Read more about storing carrots in bags. here.
Coniferous sawdust is an excellent option for preserving vegetables for a long time.... One of the important advantages of this option is the disinfecting properties of needles. Read more about storing carrots in sawdust. here.
In the cellar
Storing vegetables in the cellar during the winter is the most convenient and practical option. The room is prepared in advance:
- remove the remnants of last year's stocks;
- organize waterproofing from groundwater and precipitation;
- install thermal insulation to save food from frost;
- repairing, fixing problems with lighting, etc.
If there are no shelving in the basement, then wooden pallets will be needed. They will prevent the vegetable from coming into direct contact with the floor.Ventilation should be of medium intensity.
Cellar preparation, including disinfection, should be carried out at least 30 days before the new year's harvest is placed in it.
Read more here.
In the ground until spring
Storing carrots right in the garden is a technique that can be adopted by those who do not have a suitable storage location. This method is based on the resistance of the root crop to low temperatures..
It is possible to store carrots directly in the ground even if it was not possible to harvest on time. Read about how to store carrots in the ground until spring. here.
Storage in jars, buckets, pots and other containers is a fairly common method. For this, clean containers are taken into which the carrots can be placed vertically.
- Prepared vegetables are placed vertically in a container.
- The free space between the fruits is covered with coniferous sawdust (you can use sand).
- The container is covered with a lid on top.
Additionally, a piece of horseradish root, which has a bactericidal effect, can be placed in each of the containers.
Cloth canvas bags allow you to store the vegetable and arrange supplies compactly... To do this, the vegetables are tightly packed without damage, and the upper hole is tied. Additionally, sawdust of coniferous trees can be added to the bags.
In the pit
In the absence of a cellar, the carrot crop can be stored in the ground right on the site, in a previously dug hole.
For high-quality storage of a vegetable, the pit should be prepared in advance:
- Cover the bottom with hay, or, alternatively, add sand. Planks can also be stacked. The main goal is to prevent the crop from touching the ground.
- Cover the walls of the makeshift storage with boards.
- A drainage system is organized around the pit.
Bookmarking can be done in several ways: from placing a small cloth bag with vegetables in a pit, to storing in bulk, alternating layers with sand or hay. After the vegetables have taken their intended place, the storage is filled with straw or sand.
The width of the upper final "cushion" should be at least 0.2 m. The length of the dug pit-trench is determined by the amount of the harvested crop.
In moss and peat
Moss has a bactericidal effect... As with the sawdust method, the layers of carrots should alternate with filler.
The bottom of the box is lined with peat or moss, and dried vegetables are already laid out on it.
Garlic and onion peels also have a bactericidal effect., which can also serve as a delimiter between the layers of root crops.
Ash and chalk against bacteria
The use of ash is suitable for storing carrots in the basement. You will also need chalk for this.
- Combine 3 parts of ash with 1 part of chalk.
- Put carrots in boxes with their wide ends up, pouring the prepared composition.
Using paper is not a popular option. Taking it into service, you must be prepared for the fact that each carrot will need to be wrapped separately before storage.
It is advisable to use white paper for these purposes, not newspaper., as it is not desirable for the ink to come into contact with food.
What's the best way to keep fresh at home?
The conditions of a city apartment rarely meet all the requirements of a vegetable store. Any deviation from content temperature, humidity level, etc. affects the shelf life and external attractiveness of carrots.
It's just that at room temperature, carrots quickly deteriorate, since the conditions of the apartment are far from necessary, especially in terms of humidity and temperature.
Storing carrots in the refrigerator does not allow for large stocks. Lack of space imposes restrictions on the choice of packaging and packaging methodas bulky options are not acceptable.
A common way is to use plastic bags and cling film.
Due to the specifics of the storage location, stocks will have to be sorted out regularly... This is necessary to prevent moisture accumulation in the package and carrots from rotting.
If you need to organize long-term storage, up to a year, carrots can be frozen in the freezer of the refrigerator. Compact storage is achieved if the vegetables are pre-grated or finely chopped. Will tell you about storing carrots in the refrigerator this article.
The balcony room is designed to preserve vegetable stocks in the winter. It must be prepared - glazed, have closed shelving, special wooden or cardboard boxes.
Several storage methods are suitable for a balcony room at once:
- bags, etc.
Before placing the crop on the balcony, it is necessary to check whether the room meets all the requirements. Read more about storing carrots on the balcony. here.
Peeled carrots can be kept fresh in the refrigerator at + 2 ° C to + 6 ° C. In this case, the vegetable must be properly packed.
This can be one of the options:
- cling film;
- shrink wrap, etc.
If the peeled carrots are not going to be eaten during the day, they can be frozen for long-term storage.
Boiled root vegetable
Boiled carrots are a product that is ready to be eaten as an independent dish. Cooked carrots cannot stay long even in the cold.
Natural carrot juice
Carrot juice, which is obtained by pressing fresh vegetables, is a very healthy drink with a high content of carotene... It is a perishable product that is not intended to be stored without further processing.
In order for the vegetable juice to bring only benefits, it is advisable to drink it immediately. The unfinished residue in the refrigerator can stand for several hours. But it should be considered. That there are less and less useful substances in it literally every minute.
You can find out how much carrot juice is stored here.
The Korean-style carrot is a grated fresh vegetable to which spices and hot oil have been added. This dish contains no perishable ingredients.
Cooking technology requires that the salad is "infused" during the day in the cold... After that, the duration of the stay of the product in a sealed plastic container or in a glass jar under a lid in the refrigerator.
You can learn about storing carrots in Korean here.
How much is stored?
The duration of storage of vegetables depends on the quality of the pledged products, the method and conditions of storage. Time intervals can only be determined on average:
- the longest period (up to a year) is given by the freezer, into which already prepared (washed, peeled and chopped) root crops are placed;
- on the glazed balcony, stocks can be kept for up to six months, if all technology is followed;
- in the refrigerator, in the section for vegetables, carrots can successfully stay for a couple of months;
- in a well-equipped cellar - until the next harvest;
- in covered wooden boxes with sawdust or sand - up to a year;
- in the form of a mound with sand in the basement - from 5 to 8 months;
- boiled carrots - 2 days;
- peeled - 1 day;
- natural carrot juice (freshly squeezed) - several hours;
- cooked in Korean - up to a half moon.
Why does it wither, blacken, rot?
In the process of storing carrots, it is necessary to sort and sort it, if possible. Very often vegetables lose too much moisture when lying down.
This is due to the thin layer of rind on the root vegetables. As a result, the carrot withers, loses its firmness and presentation. The mass is also decreasing.
If black rot is noticed on the roots, then it is necessary to act as follows:
- Remove damaged vegetables.
- Treat (spray with a sprayer) with fluffy lime the area that was the source of rot infection.
Pre-treatment of the crop can prevent spoilage of carrots. One of the options is processing with a solution of potassium permanganate.
Storing a large number of root crops in one container can provoke the development of the disease - white rot... Passing from fetus to fetus, the disease can spoil a large mass of root crops.
Prevention of infection of carrots with white rot is soaking it in a solution of potassium permanganate for a couple of hours. After that, the vegetables are dried. Potassium permanganate treatment will not help prevent black rot infestation.
Good and bad neighbors
Not all vegetables and fruits that are sent for storage in the winter can be nearby. A suitable neighbor for carrots is beets. These root vegetables can be stored in the same storage, but not mixed.
As a result, carrots in such a neighborhood will quickly deteriorate, and will not stand all winter. Also, do not place containers with carrots near potatoes..
Read about the joint storage of carrots and beets here and here.
Long-term storage of carrots will be of better quality if take into account such recommendations of specialists:
- When storing carrots in a hole or in the ground, it is advisable to take care of hares and rodent repellents.
- For picking carrots, it is recommended to use a pitchfork or simply pull the vegetable by the tops. This method will avoid damage to root crops.
- Early varieties tend to deteriorate quickly, so they try not to store them in winter.
- After defrosting, frozen food must not be returned to the freezer. To avoid unnecessary surplus formation, it is recommended to pack chopped carrots before placing in the freezer in small containers or separate plastic bags, each based on the preparation of one dish.
- First of all, substandard specimens should be eaten.
- It is advisable to process vegetables that are damaged immediately - for example, grate and freeze.
- If the cellar or balcony can freeze through, then the boxes should be additionally covered with felt.
- In order for carrots to be well stored, they must be properly grown, avoiding an excess of nitrogen fertilizers.
- The soil in the carrot bed should be loose, neutral or slightly acidic.
- Before laying in storage, carrots are dried, but this should be done not in the sun, but in the shade.
It is possible to preserve carrots for a long time using various methods, and taking into account the availability of suitable conditions. Most of the methods are easy to implement and do not require significant financial investments and special skills. If you follow all the rules, then appetizing carrots can be on the table all year round.