In the world of fashion, there are more than 80 types of skirts of various styles. Classic straight, pleated, ruffled, multi-tiered - at least one of these models can be found in the wardrobe of every modern woman.
But not everyone knows how to iron a skirt correctly. It is necessary to take into account the heating temperature of the iron, and the features of the model, and the type of fabric, therefore, you definitely cannot do without practical advice in this matter.
How to prepare a garment for ironing?
The key to an attractive and neat appearance of a woman is a high-quality ironed skirt. Most of the difficulties arise with such fashionable now models as pleated and pleated.
Before you start ironing, you should study the product labeling, that is, "read" the symbols on the tag on the wrong side of the thing. This small label must contain an image of an iron, usually with one, two or three bold dots inside.
They mean the following:
- one point - iron at a low temperature, no more than 110 degrees;
- two points - iron at an average temperature, not more than 150 degrees;
- three dots - iron at a high temperature, but not exceeding 200 degrees.
If there are no bold points on the iron image, this means that the skirt can be ironed at any temperature.
The crossed out symbol means that the product should not be ironed after washing., or you can iron, but do not steam.
The biggest problem that wearers of draped skirts can face is that folds can lose their shape over time.
To prevent this from happening, before placing the product on the ironing board, all folds need to be fixed with the most common wide stitches... The thread and needle should be fine so that no holes or pins are left in the fabric.
How to iron with an iron?
You should start ironing the skirt from the pockets, if any. They need to be turned out and ironed out very well.
Then the skirt should be ironed in the following sequence:
- Belt. The waist section of the skirt should be pulled over the ironing board. Iron gently by turning the product in a circle.
- Main part. You should start ironing from the inside out. The first step is to iron the top of the skirt by turning the garment around the ironing board. Pay attention to the seams and darts at the waist.
Now turn the skirt out. If the tag has no restrictions on steam ironing, you can use this iron function. But when steaming, you should first run the hot sole over the material, as it were, without touching the fabric.
- Lightning. First, the zipper must be fastened, and barely touching the iron, run over the fabric covering it. Then open the zipper. Iron the fabric around it. It is important not to touch the zipper with a hot iron, especially if it is made of plastic or nylon, otherwise it will melt.
- Folds. The bottom of the skirt should be ironed first from the seamy side without steam, and then the product should be turned out, and the hem should be ironed again with steam.
- Folds... Draped skirts are much more difficult to iron than straight cut skirts. Experts recommend sweeping the folds before washing to keep them in their original shape. But if the skirt is very wrinkled or the fabric is too dense, you will have to iron each fold separately.
For this, the product is turned outward. First, iron the fold of each fold. Then they put clean paper under it so that there are no prints on the front side, and smooth out the fold. We recommend using a starch spray or white toilet soap solution to create crisp folds. The folds should be ironed only in the thread direction.
Features for different styles
It is necessary to iron skirts of different styles, taking into account the peculiarities of their cut:
- with folds - the skirt should be ironed almost immediately after washing, while wet, while the fabric is not completely dry;
- with folds in front - the product is ironed similarly to trousers with arrows, slowly, through a damp cloth;
- corrugation - folds in such a skirt resemble an "accordion", they have the same width and depth along the entire length of the product. Before ironing, they should be swept with a thin needle with wide stitches;
- pleated - pleats in the pleat are wider than the fold, they are located as if "lying". Such a skirt should be ironed in the same way as the "corrugation" model;
- multi-tiered - each layer of such a skirt should be ironed separately, starting from the lower tier and ending with the upper one.
We take into account the types of fabric
The process of ironing skirts made of different types of fabric has its own characteristics. They can be clearly represented in the form of a table:
|Fabric type||Temperature regime||Features:|
|Silk||● or "Silk", no steam||Iron on the wrong side. It is not recommended to spray on the cloth from a spray bottle, as water may leave marks.|
|Wool||●● or Wool ”, a lot of steam||Iron through a damp cotton cloth, thoroughly steam each section of the garment.|
|Jersey||● or "Silk", with steam||Iron through double-folded cheesecloth using the steam function.|
|Polyester||● or "Silk", no steam||Iron, barely touching the surface of the product with an iron, very quickly, without stopping for a long time in one area.|
|Leather||● or "Silk", no steam||Only from the seamy side and through a thick cotton fabric, if there are no restrictions from the manufacturer of the product.|
|Artificial leather (leatherette)||Do not iron||Products made from this fabric are not ironed even at the lowest temperature, nor are they stitched before washing with a needle. A faux leather skirt should be properly washed and dried, then you won't have to smooth out the folds.|
How to iron with steam?
When it comes to pleated or pleated skirts, then better than any iron with drapery, only a steamer or steam generator can handle.
There are fundamental differences in the operation of these devices. The steamer generates wet, pressurized steam, while the steam generator produces dry steam. There are also differences in steam temperature.For a steamer, it does not exceed 100 degrees, and for a steam generator it reaches 160 degrees.
But these devices have one important advantage: they easily smooth out what the iron was powerless against.
Iron the skirt with steam in the following sequence:
- Hang the skirt on a hanger. Switch on the steamer and immediately start processing the product. But the steam generator does not start generating steam immediately, but after 5-7 minutes.
- Steam the skirt lining. Then the main fabric will no longer wrinkle.
- Steam the folds. When sewing a product, they are treated with a special solution, therefore, under the influence of steam, they easily restore their shape.
How to cope without electrical appliances?
You can cope with creases in the fabric without an iron, using one of the following methods:
- Steam generator effect... Take a full bath of hot water and hang your skirt on a hanger. After 2 hours, the creases on the fabric will be several times less.
- Correct drying... Immediately after washing, the skirt should be shaken several times and hung on a hanger. During the drying process, the product should be shaken periodically until it is completely dry.
- Vinegar solution... Add equal proportions of water, vinegar and fabric softener to a spray bottle. Treat all creases with a vinegar solution and let dry.
- Wet towel... Prepare a towel that is larger than the product itself. Moisten it, and put a crumpled skirt on top. Spread out the creases by hand, and then hang the product on the hangers.
- Hot curling iron... A curling iron for hair will help to cope with creases on the fabric, with which women even out their naughty curls. Just before using the tongs, you need to make sure that there are no traces of styling products on them.
Before you start ironing your skirt, it will not be superfluous to use the following tips:
- Before starting the procedure, carefully study the tag on the wrong side of the product. Use only the temperature regime indicated on it.
- You should start ironing the skirt only from the seamy side, and then from the front, if necessary.
- When working with a hot iron, do not keep it in one place for a long time so that it does not overheat. This can lead to yellow spots and streaks.
- In order for the smoothed folds to keep their shape for a long time, they should be ironed through a damp cotton cloth soaked in a mash solution with the addition of 1 tablespoon of vinegar (for 3 liters of water).
- A damp cotton towel can help deal with the shiny areas that sometimes form on dark clothes. It should be wetted, wrung out and iron the problem area, repeating the action several times, then slightly lift the nap on the fabric with a soft brush.
Many women call the skirt the most capricious piece of women's wardrobe. It is especially difficult with pleated or corrugated models.
Most products can be easily processed with hot steam, which helps to restore even folds that have lost their original shape. With this device, even the wrinkled item will be perfectly ironed in just a few minutes.